Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1968 Honda CL175 "Sloper" restoration

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
Rizingson
honda305.com Member

1968 Honda CL175 "Sloper" restoration

Post by Rizingson » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Added this project to my list last summer. This CL175 K0 will be needing a full restoration and new candy blue or maybe orange paint (paint wasn't original). It's mostly there, minus chain guard (which has been ordered) and also the usual parts to be replaced, like gators, cables, badges, knee grips etc. etc. Also will need to change the handle bars as they are not original. It had been sitting since '84 unfortunately with a half tank of gas. (took me a couple of day's just to get the smell out of the shop ) But the tank is still solid and straight. A little Metal Rescue should do the job. Since it was a Colorado bike (western slope) it's basically rust free, however it definately not gunk/crude free.

Here's some pics before clean up.

Mileage wasn't outrageous either

The bike is titled as a '69, but the early VIN and other obvious details makes it a '68 build. Note the rounded taillight and no starter. The starter and rectangular taillight (top edge) came in '69 and are referred to by some collectors as K1 models. However Honda only recognizes the K0 which was sold from Jan 1968 until being replaced by the K3 version in May of '69. Trivia for the day: The CL175 K0 is the only 5 spd "sloper" motor Honda made, replacing the CL160 4 spd model.
I'll be doing a restoration of my '66 CL160 next since they are both in similar condition and nearly identical looking bikes.

The CL160 came from Buffalo, NY so has some pitting but is also complete and original except paint. I've already got a replacement tank for it.
Here's a pic of my '66 CL160.

And just for the heck of it, so you can see the design progression, a pic of my '69 CL175 K3, which is one of the rarest honda scramblers out there. It came with the newer vertical twin engine. The were very much a cross between a CL and the new SL's that were to soon be released. Note the SL type metal front fender.

And near the end of the model run, My Magna Red '72 K6 version of the CL175.

Back to the project.
I don't like to waste time with discussion of the tear down, as it was pretty routine for me, bagging and labeling every fastener and pictures to view if needed later.
But before it's torn down to far, I like to fire them up to see if the motor is solid, without any unusual noises etc. In this clip, you'll see it appears to be smoking pretty bad. But not to worry, often times when a bike sits as long as this one has, the rings become stuck. A little time running and some well placed chemicals usually free them right up and this case was no exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cva5BJIZ_A

Here's the starting point after painting the frame and misc bits black.
Back soon with the start of the assembly......

malcolmgb
honda305.com Member

Post by malcolmgb » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:09 pm

Very nice collection, I have a '73 K7 in Emerald Green Metallic, found it in New Jersey and shipped it here to the UK.
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:16 am

Time to start the assembly. I know everyone probably has their preferred assembly sequences as I do as well, depending on the model, type of frame, and the fact that I don't have a helping hand, all play a part in the method.

Getting the forks and triple tree on as well as centre stand with new rubber stopper and then the swing arm.

Hangin' the engine as well as the headlight bucket and turn signals. Also the rear fender and tail light assembly.

Installed front wheel, fender and brake stay. Also put the main wiring harness on with coils. Finally up off her knees with the front wheel in place. I like to mount the engine before its a roller when it's a frame hung motor, makes it a one man job.
To be continued...stay tuned....

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:34 am

After a short break, time to get it back on the lift for chasing all electrical gremlins. I start out using a 1 amp trickle charger hooked to the battery terminals. Also put a piece of cardboard (match book cover) between the points to keep the coil from heating up. This allows me to trace and verify every light and horn etc. without fear of shorting something out and blowing fuses or worse yet melting any part of the harness. I step it up to at least 6 amps to verify the flashers will work. Battery doesn't get installed until all switches and wiring is working without any shorts or opens. BTW every bulb was blown on this bike when I got it.

Getting the cables installed in the correct scrambler handle bars, (with new grips) originally it had the wrong bars, and hanging the muffler loosely. Side cover will not go on without muffler being pulled out of the way.

I had finally made the decision to go with original Candy Orange. A color which was only used two years on the CL175 ('68 - '69) In 1970 the color switched to Candy Topaz Orange.

A couple shots of the side covers and tank. The odd shaped side cover is for a '69 K3 such as the blue one shown earlier in the thread. I bought a NOS candy orange cover for that bike, but decided not to molest it. It makes for a great comparison of what the factory Candy Orange is like, as it was never installed or faded. Because the '69 has a white stripe on the tank I think it will look just fine in Candy Blue while the Candy Orange will make this bike pop. I think my painter nailed the color really well!

Getting the painted parts on the bike, as well as the battery now installed. Verified good spark at the plugs.

First outside pics....

She really pops now. gotta get the fuel lines hooked up to the new petcock, as well as polishing the generator and oil filter cover. (I already polished the points cover). Only other thing is, I'm waiting on the skid plate, then she's ready to go!

Almost forgot to include an original dealer brochure for the 1968 CL175 K0 Scrambler in Candy Orange.
....and one more shot for comparison.

Still had time to take it to a show right away after completion.
Here it is being shown with my much rarer Kawasaki B8S "Super 150", under the watchful eye of my better half. She don't seem like she's enjoying it much!

jas67
honda305.com Member

Re: 1968 Honda CL175 "Sloper" restoration

Post by jas67 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Wow! Nice work (as you always do).

I have an unrestored blue early '69 model with the square tail light. I do have a Candy Orange '68 in need of restoration. How much, if I could ask, did the paint work cost? I might be willing to ship the body parts to your painter to get those kind of results.

I also have a CL160 project in waiting that I hope to actually get to one of these days. It is a project someone else already started, with a lot of the chrome parts already re-chromed.

I'll be watching your CL160 resto too!

As for the forum, yeah, it is pretty quiet around here. I just joined because I recently acquired a CB77.

jas67
honda305.com Member

Post by jas67 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Rizingson wrote:Trivia for the day: The CL175 K0 is the only 5 spd "sloper" motor Honda made, replacing the CL160 4 spd model.
While this statement is true for the US market, Honda did sell a sloper CB175K0 elsewhere, which, of course looks a lot like a CB160.

I'd love to have one!

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:22 am

Nice work Rizingson! Very impressive indeed. If you remember I have thread going for a CL77 and I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the best way to clean up engine casings/covers to prep for paint?

2. My wiring harness appears to be in fairly good shape but the plastic "conduit" is very aged, stiff, and brittle in places. What would be the best way to refurbish this? Replace the conduit only (which of course would mean removing a replacing all the connectors)?, or trying to find a replacement (probably after market)?

Thanks, Paul

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home