Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB, CL, XL 100, 125 Chain Guard Question

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:45 pm

Rob; that looks great. glad you could repurpose that p.o.s. I'm actually surprised that the gray one didn't fit.
Randy

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:57 am

Turns out that because I did not have the engine together to test the fit, I had to guestimate and I missed the proper height by a smidgeon. Although it clears the rear engine sprocket cover when at rest, when the suspension flexes, it just barely rubs and took the paint off. I view it as looking original rather than being incorrect.

I might fix if if I find myself with nothing to do one day. But it will probaby mean stripping completely and repainting because I'll have to raise the front mounting holes about 1/8" which means more welding up and redrilling.

It wasn't meant to be a perfect replacement anyway. Just serviceable and look like it belonged on the bike.

Both of these guards had the rear bracket in the wrong place and the recess for the shock in the wrong place. That's why I decided to start with the ugly one because I had to hide the recess.

Thanks again,
Rob

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:39 pm

rrietman wrote:Rob; that looks great. glad you could repurpose that p.o.s. I'm actually surprised that the gray one didn't fit.
Randy
Randy,

Yesterday I figured out what that gray chainguard fit. I pulled out my CB160 to use as my back-up bike at the Motogiro and I happened to glance down at the chainguard. Boy, did it look familiar. Sure enough, identical to the gray one you sent to me. So, I have a spare for my CB160 should it get trashed.

Rob

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home