Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB160 Neutral Light Mystery

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

CB160 Neutral Light Mystery

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Okay, this would seem like a simple thing to figure out. But it has me somewhat stumped.

The neutral light on my '66 CB160 works fine, except you cannot see it thru the jeweled indicator on the face of the speedo. High beam light works fine and is quite visible.

Some inspection revealed a black plastic chute that travels from the bulb socket towards the front of the speedo. I can see the neutral light working thru the space between the bezel and the face of the speedo, but that black chute blocks it from shining thru the jewel indicator in the center of the speedo.

At first I thought someone had blocked out the jewel with tape so a new rider would have to find neutral without the help of the light. But it looks like it was designed to be this way by Honda.

Can anyone shed some light (pardon the pun) on this?

Thanks,
Rob

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 am

Rob,

That chute normally directs the light at the "jewel". Either the tube has moved, and isn't pointing at the jewel anymore, or the jewel itself has turned black and is no longer opaque.

Davo

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks. I suspect that the chute got hot and perhaps tilted forward. I might be able to heat it carefully and straighten it out with a carefully applied soldering iron.

Or maybe I'll just live with it like it is.

Thanks and regards,
Rob

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home