Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB160 upper shock rubber bushings

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

CB160 upper shock rubber bushings

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Since the rubber upper shock bushings are now made from unobtainium, I decided to make my own. My left side had turned into black goo but the right side was good enough to get dimensions.

Well it turned out to be much easier than planned. I thought I'd have to grind them on the lathe with my mototool. But it turns out Goodyear 1/2 ID rubber hose has a 3/4 OD. The mounting stud for the shock measures 0.495" and the ID of the shock is 0.790".

So, the standard Goodyear rubber hose sold in hardware stores works like a champ. For the flanges on the end of the bushings, I simply cut rubber disks from an old inner tube with a 1 inch punch. The new bushings fit like they were made for the shocks. 1 foot of hose is $1.49 so I probably have enough left over to make bushings for everyone on the forum.

regards,
Rob

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Rob ,

Great idea.

I often get let down when I call around and find parts are discontinued. A little thinking outside the box and throwing some things together can save time and money and will work perfectly fine on a rider and barely noticable appearance wise.

If it doesn't work or last very long your not out much.

Thanks for sharing

Goody
64' CB77
65' CB160

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home