Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

motor question

yellow60
honda305.com Member

motor question

Post by yellow60 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:56 pm

I have now torn down a 1967 305 dream motor. I am trying to get the center clutch and outer clutch off of the main shaft w/o using my hammer. Also I would like to know how to get the rotor off of the crank. Looks as if it screw off? I have a broken tooth off of the main shaft. My final question of the day is does anyone know where to get transmission parts. I have only tried Ohio cycle.

Thanks Adam

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

Put the hammer down

Post by Dgormley » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Adam, the clutch hub is attached with a circlip, once disassembled it should slide off. The rotor is threaded, but pressed onto the shaft. You will need to thread the proper size bolt into the end of the rotor to press it off of the crank, some light tapping with the wooden end of the hammer will help. There are some forum members with tranny parts, post in the classified"wanted" or try E-bay. Good luck.................D

yellow60
honda305.com Member

Post by yellow60 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:45 pm

I removed the circlip but I can't tell if the center piece with six teeth on it stayed attached to the inter clutch or if it stay on the shaft. There is some rust as the motor was seized up. I am not sure where to pry or softly tap. As for the rotor after I thread the bolt into the end of the rotor do I attach a puller to that or what. These are the last two thing I have to get apart. I already have the case apart and I don't really even need to take the rotor off but I am trying to use this old motor to learn from. If it run again I will impress myself. I'm not a quitter!:)

yellow60
honda305.com Member

Post by yellow60 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Degormley yes yes they are off.

Thanks again.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 pm

The clutch hub is retained by that circlip and the only thing holding the drum on the shaft is the crank sprocket. To remove the sprocket, spread the tab washer and remove the castellated nut. The sprocket should just slide off the shaft.

The trick for the alternator rotor is to screw in an extractor until it's really tight and then smack the end of teh extractor with a large lump hammer. If it doesn't pop off with the first blow, tighten it some more and smack it again. All it takes is one firm blow straight on the end.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home