□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Spark advance springs

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 pm

CHR springs are Too Long! See my entire resto thread re same. I wish I could tell you how to set to spec, but I never got it quite right, even after multiple tries.

You definitely do not want play, but if you go too tight it will advance late and suck wind off the line.

Husker45
honda305.com Member

Post by Husker45 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone know where to get the length of springs?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:58 pm

I have needle nose pliers I bend the wire at the post with and take the slack out. .......lm
Husker45 wrote:Loud Mouse, do you think I have the wrong springs or a problem with the cam sprocket. What would you inspect on the cam sprocket?

Husker45
honda305.com Member

Post by Husker45 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:15 pm

I thought about doing that, but I feel better knowing someone who knows what they are doing, which is not me, suggesting it. I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks loud mouse.

Ken

FishingForTheCure
honda305.com Member

Post by FishingForTheCure » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:16 am

I know this an old thread but I have a similar issue on both my 63 & 64 cb77 advancers (stock). Going to replace the springs nevertheless but here's what I see on both. With the "pawls" pulled away from the center hub, to the point where the spring starts to "take effect" the gap between the pawl & the hub is about .10 to .12". Tried to snap a picture for reference. So, are the pawls supposed to be zero'd out when they are touching the center hub?

Bill

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:28 am

The pawls should not touch the center hub. There is a neoprene-coated peg on the back side of the pawl that should bottom out in the hole in the sprocket before the pawl hits the hub. That neoprene was never intended to last 50 years and it usually didn't. Without the cushion there, even new springs will be loose. You can tighten the springs and the only issue may be some noise as the pawls rattle against the hub. Or buy an NOS assembly. The only caution there is that those cushions have been under tension for 50 years and may not be much better.

If you want to tighten the springs, I've had pretty good success using a drill bit that fits snug inside the loop, and with the bit in a vise, wind the loop a little further around with pliers. You may have to trim a little off the end then to fit it around the peg.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

CAM

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 am

I snap the weights and when the neoprene is there it will not make a metallic sound.
The one I had that made a metallic sound was the one I put in CARB CLEANER and of course "I" found 2 neoprene half-moon parts floating on top of the cleaner. "NEVER AGAIN"!
I put the points cam in the right side cam them put the cam into the sprocket which centers the axis of the advance system and I can check swing of the weights.
Usually the springs are OK but not always.
I replace any which are stretched (too long).
Something I've found several times is someone had installed DREAM springs (longer than CB/CL) so I replaced those.
At times I chuckle when I take someones engine apart and find things which are visible like the points cam is 180 off then I find new bore and pistons which never ran.
As you can imagine the owner is happy to hear this. .........lm

FishingForTheCure wrote:I know this an old thread but I have a similar issue on both my 63 & 64 cb77 advancers (stock). Going to replace the springs nevertheless but here's what I see on both. With the "pawls" pulled away from the center hub, to the point where the spring starts to "take effect" the gap between the pawl & the hub is about .10 to .12". Tried to snap a picture for reference. So, are the pawls supposed to be zero'd out when they are touching the center hub?

Bill

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home