□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Exessive engine noise

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 am

This is a community of folks (probably older folks) who like to "play" with these older bikes. Daywalker was obviously "younger folks" who just wanted to ride. I can appreciate this. Unfortunately his decision to buy a Dream was not a good one but as part of the community I think it is our obligation to help folks like him. It could have gone the other way. He could have decided to "learn" about his bike and become more educated about working on bikes.

If you (we) have gathered knowledge by experience, part of what we should do is pass this on to the younger generation. I would have been more than happy to help Daywalker through the experience of fixing his bike if he had choosen to do so.

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:42 am

I would have been more than happy to help Daywalker through the experience of fixing his bike if he had choosen to do so.
Me too, if he had choosen to do so.
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:02 am

In a strange way we all owe a debt to folks like Daywalker. Most of my 'projects' have been acquired in pieces which suggests to me that there is a ton of misguided people out there who take things to pieces in the hope that education is hidden on the inside of dismantled bikes and engines.

When they find out that it is not - the pieces are left resting for a while and hopefully end up in the hands of people like us who enjoy putting them back together again.

Cadman - I salute your patience and helpful attitude. Yes, we all love helping folks learn but it's frustrating when they just jump to silly conclusions for lack of a bit of patience and thinking time. My love of bike and all things mechanical led me in to engineering but I never stop learning. A good friend said "you learn something old every day"

The summer has (temporarily) arrived in the UK so I am out this week in my back garden 'spray booth' trying to catch up on my projects.

Take care

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

conbs
honda305.com Member

Helping others

Post by conbs » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm

jensey wrote:
I would have been more than happy to help Daywalker through the experience of fixing his bike if he had choosen to do so.
Me too, if he had choosen to do so.
I'm with Jensen on this one.

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Well. I haven't sold my bike yet. Still listed for sale though. I'm going to try one more thing to stop the plug fouling issue. My grandfather asked me if these bikes are oil injected. He suggested an "adjustment". I have no idea how to adjust how much oil it's getting. I can clean the oil filter if it needs it. That's about it.

This guy seems to be having the same problem I'm having aside from a couple of things. He writes:

"I have a 1973 Kawasaki 90cc road bike serial no.GA349891, engine no.GAE304054. Bike ruins spark plug in few minutes. Bike runs O.K. I'm told it's over oiling,(it leaves a smoke trail while underway). How do I correctly adjust the oil& gas so it doesn't self destruct for lack of proper lubrication? ( after sitting overnite it will start, run 10 seconds, and quit. plug looks O.K.but will never fire again.) With a new plug it starts with first kick and runs fine."

This was asked on some other website without a clear answer.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:18 am

You don't have a 2 stroke engine. ............lm
daywalker wrote:Well. I haven't sold my bike yet. Still listed for sale though. I'm going to try one more thing to stop the plug fouling issue. My grandfather asked me if these bikes are oil injected. He suggested an "adjustment". I have no idea how to adjust how much oil it's getting. I can clean the oil filter if it needs it. That's about it.

This guy seems to be having the same problem I'm having aside from a couple of things. He writes:

"I have a 1973 Kawasaki 90cc road bike serial no.GA349891, engine no.GAE304054. Bike ruins spark plug in few minutes. Bike runs O.K. I'm told it's over oiling,(it leaves a smoke trail while underway). How do I correctly adjust the oil& gas so it doesn't self destruct for lack of proper lubrication? ( after sitting overnite it will start, run 10 seconds, and quit. plug looks O.K.but will never fire again.) With a new plug it starts with first kick and runs fine."

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:You don't have a 2 stroke engine. ............lm
daywalker wrote:Well. I haven't sold my bike yet. Still listed for sale though. I'm going to try one more thing to stop the plug fouling issue. My grandfather asked me if these bikes are oil injected. He suggested an "adjustment". I have no idea how to adjust how much oil it's getting. I can clean the oil filter if it needs it. That's about it.

Well obviously. Haha. This guy is still having the same problems as me though.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home