□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Exessive engine noise

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm

I would check and see if the tensioner is just stuck. It is under the carb and 4 bolts remove it.

When I started on mine it was stuck and would not move - hence it would not tension the cam chain. Just from general observation I don't think it is possible to get to the end of the tensioner travel unless the cam chain is broken or tensioner wheel bad

Here is a pic of one on ebay - just a simple rubber wheel that is pushed by a spring against the cam chain. If the shaft is frozen the spring cannot push. It could also be possible the rubber wheel is bad. At any rate much wiser to pull the tensioner (takes 10 minutes) before a complete tear down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1969-HONDA ... 0732549854

You are going to be really pissed if you rip an engine apart only to find the tensioner was the problem.

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 am

Hi,
I would consider replacing my mechanic too if he were asking these kinds of questions...
+1

Since your mechanic works on the bike, he has to figure it out, after all, he's the one who is getting paid. This is a forum, not a consulting agency.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm

SO how much does it cost to ask another question? Lol. People come to forums for answers ALL the time. I'm a member of several and no one has a problem with helping others out. If you don't want to answer a question, than don't.

Anyway, to the others, I was also wondering what the hottest spark plug I can use is. I read that the plugs can foul because of a cold plug and one suggested that I get a one size hotter. I read up on the requirements in the manual I just downloaded and it says a NGK D6HW or what is now D6HA is the "normal use" plug. D8H is the heavy stress plugs (colder) which is what I am using. I'll try the hotter plug. Just wondering if that doesn't work, if there's another plug I could use. Praying this will work. I'm really hoping I don't have to rebuild the engine. Thanks.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm

First of all, tell us what problem you are trying to solve with a hotter plug. Then we can help you make a sensible decision.

There are risks to using a hotter plug and I'm not convinced that you won't have more problems going that way.

What oes you mechanic guy suggest?
What does your free PDF workshop manual suggest?

I can't afford a mechanic to look after my bikes, I had to figure it all out. After forty years with bikes I'm still learning......

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Sorry. My plugs keep fouling out. Black all over the tips. My mechanic suggested a strip down of the engine and replace the cam chain and also check for the condition of everything else inside. I am trying to figure out a solution to my plug problem hoping not to have to do anything major. Here is an overview of everything he's done to it so far for the engine noise: He said the jets in the carb are clean and correct. Points and valves are right on. The cam chain tensioner is adjusted right.
As far as the plugs fouling, other than an engine rebuild, he told me to try a hotter spark plug and see how it does. The hotter the plug the better it will burn of the carbon deposits and such before it would start fouling the plugs. I wonder if the pdf shop manual would have more in depth plug recommendations than the light maintenance owners manual.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:02 pm

If you plan on letting your bike idle in the garage and drive around the block once in a while then use a hotter plug. Other wise stick with the standard heat range.

Plugs DO NOT cause the plug fouling you are experiencing. It's more than likely carburation, choke on or air cleaner restriction. None of these require replacing anything. Just checking what you have.

My problem is you always look to bolt on something to fix a problem. Was the cam chain tensioner removed and checked? Is the battery fully charged" Has anyone looked at the oil filter? Is the carbureter float level correct? Is the main jet correct? Is there a filter in the fuel line. All of these things effect potential fuel mixture or misfiring.

I can't understand why you , with limited mechanical knowledge, got this bike in the first place , especially with an "as is" purchase. This is not a bike you ride 10,000 miles and replace the plugs and change the oil. It is 50 years old and requires frequent attention. Either you learn to work on it or you sell it. Trying to find a mechanic who "knows" this bike is difficult. If you could find one you would have more invested than the bike is worth. I doubt you will find a dealer who will touch it. So how bad do you want a Honda Dream or do you just want a motorcycle to ride. You need to decide. Cut your losses now or learn to work on it.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:12 pm

This bike is not worth an engine rebuild if you have to have someone else do it. A complete engine can be had for $250-$500.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home