□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Exessive engine noise

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:24 pm

cadman wrote:If you plan on letting your bike idle in the garage and drive around the block once in a while then use a hotter plug. Other wise stick with the standard heat range.

Plugs DO NOT cause the plug fouling you are experiencing. It's more than likely carburation, choke on or air cleaner restriction. None of these require replacing anything. Just checking what you have.

My problem is you always look to bolt on something to fix a problem. Was the cam chain tensioner removed and checked? Is the battery fully charged" Has anyone looked at the oil filter? Is the carbureter float level correct? Is the main jet correct? Is there a filter in the fuel line. All of these things effect potential fuel mixture or misfiring.

I can't understand why you , with limited mechanical knowledge, got this bike in the first place , especially with an "as is" purchase. This is not a bike you ride 10,000 miles and replace the plugs and change the oil. It is 50 years old and requires frequent attention. Either you learn to work on it or you sell it. Trying to find a mechanic who "knows" this bike is difficult. If you could find one you would have more invested than the bike is worth. I doubt you will find a dealer who will touch it. So how bad do you want a Honda Dream or do you just want a motorcycle to ride. You need to decide. Cut your losses now or learn to work on it.
Cam chain tensioner was checked. The battery needs replaced (It was tested). I don't think he checked the oil filter. He cleaned out the float bowl. He didn't say anything about the float level. Main jet is correct. No idea about the filter in the fuel line.
I got the bike because I figured my mechanic would be able to fix any problems and the Honda dealership and the previous owner lead me to believe it was in good running condition. I also owned a 1965 Honda S65 that ran excellent, so I figured this would be similar. I may end up buying a different bike if I have to keep fixing it every year. I am hoping to get this issue resolved and then just do regular light maintenance there after. My step dad offered to take it for the winter and rebuild the engine, so there's that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Honda-Drea ... d1&vxp=mtr
Is this what I would need to replace the whole engine?

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Come on......... Nothing 50 years old is in excellent shape. You are proving that right now. No way you are going to ride this very many miles with "lite maintenance".

I don't know how much you have invested in this bike. If possible sell it for what you paid for it an look for something else. I my garage is a 1995 Honda Pacific Coast with 21,000 miles and a Suzuki S50 (wife's bike) with 9,000 miles either of these is worth about $3000 and will run forever with lite maintenance. These are the bikes I ride all the time. I also have a 1972 Honda 350 Four and a 1967 Dream these are meant to be ridden occasionally.

As I said before learn to work on it or get rid of it. It is not ever going to be what I consider dependable transportation (bet I will hear about that). It is a fun bike to have and tinker with.

.... and I would think the FIRST thing to add is a fuel filter and check the oil filter. Surprised the mechanic didn't suggest this. I am also still curious about he cam chain tensioner - was iti ever removed and checked? Plus no compression check? We must also assume that if it was in "good running condition" then the problem is something you did.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

cadman wrote:As I said before learn to work on it or get rid of it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Ot ... 5b&vxp=mtr

Wow, that was fast. I think you must have hit him hard with the epiphany club.

HT

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm

But will it sell for $4000?

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Haha! Yeah, I don't think it will sell right at $4000. I left it open to offers. You got me thinking pretty hard about it. It's just too much of a headache for me already. I think you hit the nail on the head. I just want a motorcycle I can ride every day with little maintenance. I think I just got lucky with my S65. Just don't have the time and money for a classic bike.

That Suzuki S50 sounds like a decent option. That or I'm kind of liking even more of the chopper style bikes with the fat back tire. I'll have to do some research. I think I'm done trying to get help to fix that bike. If anyone wants it, make an offer.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Sorry for your misfortune. Hope you can recoup your money. The bike looks good so maybe it will sell.

The motorcycle market has been fairly soft for a few years so it should be easy to find a reasonably priced late model bike. My advice is do not buy a Harley or any Honda V-4. There are lots of late model 750/800cc V-twins on the market.

Good Luck - Cadman (Don)

conbs
honda305.com Member

Sell your bike

Post by conbs » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:04 am

Cadman, Your advice to Daywalker to sell his bike was spot on and his decision to follow it is wise. Since he appears to know very little about repairing or maintaining a vintage bike, his experience probably cannot turn out well - at least financially.

For him, your statement "This bike is not worth an engine rebuild if you have to have someone else do it" is a painful truth. I hope he is smart enough to sell it - even at a pretty painful loss - because it will end up costing him even more to pay a mechanic to do the repairs (especially one who doesn't appear to understand he should start with all of the things you have listed before suggesting a rebuild).

While all of that above is true, Daywalker's foray into this Forum has exposed another truth: This is an awesome place to get a lot of help if you are willing to show just a little appreciation. Cadman, you in particular showed way more grace to him than I could muster. G-man's attempts to point Daywalker in the right direction were gentle and kind as well. For, my temperament, I ran out staying power on this thread a while back. Still, it means a lot to me be part of such a great community.

As my kids were growing up I used to tell them, "Real education is always expensive." Though it will be expensive for him, I hope Daywalker got the message of his "education" and will benefit from it in the future. To those who kept at it til the end: Good on you and may it come back around many times.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home