Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Removal of stator

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Removal of stator

Post by kustommusic » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:57 pm

Hello, Great forum! I'm new here, glad I found this. I'm having a problem with the starter on my'67 cb77 and am wanting to remove the stator to get at the starter clutch(I believe that is the problem). Does one use a 3jaw puller or is another method recomended? I have a Clymer manual and it simply has no reference to this procedure. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,Steve Greer

Dean
honda305.com Member

Re: Removal of stator

Post by Dean » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:47 am

<br />I did it 25 years ago on my CB250 (I have a CL77 racer now: see geocities.com/deanwhynacht) and the construction looks the same. Use a 3 legged puller and when the tension is taken up by the puller give it a small knock with a hammer and the rotor should just &quot;pop&quot; off.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:26 pm

Dean, Thanks for your reply! After giving up in disgust and walking away for a day (doesnt that alwayse help?) I cleaned my glasses and noticed that on the steel inner hub there are about 3\4&quot; of threads aprox.1/2&quot; s.a.e. all I had to do was rummage thru my junk bolt bucket and found one that fit. I turned it in and the stator came right off, no problem! I had earlier tried a 2 jaw puller I bought just for this and had NO success,it just pulled right off the aluminum hub.I'm sure a 3 jaw would be the better way to go as far as using an external puller. If anyone would like to know what size bolt I used let me know and I'll figure it out and let you know. For now it goes with the other special tools in the box marked with a question mark. Thanks again Dean

Tussocks
honda305.com Member

Post by Tussocks » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:31 am

I had a similar problem on my CB72 back in the 60's. Yes, you are right, a threaded bolt screwed into the center will withdraw it out. The one I used had a metric thread on (size unknown). A word of warning. I found it difficult to replace the stator with the outside coils in place as the magnet kept getting attracted off centre making it difficult to locate on the keyed shaft. I found it easier to remove the outside ring. Fit the stator the replace the outside coil portion.<br />

leonvjames
honda305.com Member

Post by leonvjames » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:31 pm

It is probably a bit late but one of the axles works as a puller. Just screw it into the stator and give it a gentle tap<br />Leon

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:32 pm

Leon, Holy cow! thats too easy! I never would have thought of it! What a great piece of usefull information,Thanks

leonvjames
honda305.com Member

Post by leonvjames » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:39 pm

One of the many things you learn with 40 years of owning and running one for 130 000 miles.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home