Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

How to remove cams from 305 head???

Dansl70
honda305.com Member

How to remove cams from 305 head???

Post by Dansl70 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:42 pm

I have a CB77 305 SuperHawk on which I can't figure out how to remove the cams. It is pretty clear to me now that they have to be split and the sprocket and advance mechanism removed from both halves of the camshaft somehow. I just can't figure out how. <br /><br />Where do they split? <br />How do they split? <br />Are they threaded together or do they slide apart? <br /><br />Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Dan

jesse
honda305.com Member

Re: How to remove cams from 305 head???

Post by jesse » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:49 am

to begin you must of course drop the cam chain.then remove the tach drive from the left side and the points cover from the right side.once the top plate is removed from the engine pull the long head bolts that go through the valve rocker pivot pins.back off on all valve adjusters to relieve all pressure the pull rocker pivot pins.remove rockers from head.on left side loosen nut on end of cam and strike end with soft mallet to unlock cam.then loosen nut next to cam sprocket(could be right or left hand thread).you can then tap out cams from the center outward on each side.if this sounds complicated then you should buy a manual it will make your job a lot easier.if you can't get one let me know ,i may be able to copy the page from mine and send you a copy.use your own judgement on my directions as i am going by memory and it has been a long time since i pulled a set of cams out.just curious ,why are you pulling them?<br />hope this helps

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home