□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Proper Kick Start Assembly--Seeking 100% Clarity

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Ya may want to check the dates of these items as we have answered them and gone on to bigger and better questions. ....lm

teazer wrote:The paret that's missing is that the starter shaft (sticking out of th trans) must be rotated fully to hit its stop before the cover is fitted. "all" means the pinions must match and so mucst the lever and shaft

The main shaft must be fully rotated or else the kicker will go back too far and teh other gears and lever must be aligned to get teh kicker at the right angle and with teh right tension.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:33 pm

s'funny but seemed to me that the guys looking for the answers didn't move too. They still appear to be confused so i just tired to clarify it for them. Maybe I missed something in translation.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:42 pm

I know but as ya notice the last dates ya will see they are asking OLD QUESTIONS and one reason the subject just stops is that more times than not the answers are given by phone as any description on the list won't be compresive enough no matter how ya offer what ya want to describe.
Ya don't have any idea how many tuning/timing and kick lever problems using the good old phone.
Simple reason is the person is Hands On and I ask questions and the person looking at the problem is my eyes and We cure the problem/question. .......................lm

teazer wrote:s'funny but seemed to me that the guys looking for the answers didn't move too. They still appear to be confused so i just tired to clarify it for them. Maybe I missed something in translation.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Call me again. ..................lm

Spargett wrote:I may be dense but I'm still confused. "Align all indexes" is too vague for me
and leaves too many questions. I've read through both of Silver's manuals as well as the very CL-centric clymer manual and the shop manual. Neither of these so much as mention any procedure whatsoever.

Can someone please do a step by step walkthrough of this because I feel like so much is being left out in between the lines.

305explr, did you figure it out exactly?

305explr
honda305.com Member

Got it.

Post by 305explr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 am

Hey guys,

I just got an alert that this thread has been active. Upon logging in, I saw that it has been _very_ active and I missed a lot of the thread.

"305explr, did you figure it out exactly?" someone wrote. YES. Loudmouse is right. The punch marks on the gears have to rotate and come together as the kickstart mechanism rotates through its stroke, and the kickstart lever and shaft also need their punch marks to line up. It's assembly is intuitive, but the result is odd because the kick start lever crowds the rear brake pedal a bit. But I was told that's how Honda designed it.

Sorry I didn't get back to the board. Thanks for all the help!

thumper2146
honda305.com Member

on the phone:)

Post by thumper2146 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote: Ya don't have any idea how many tuning/timing and kick lever problems using the good old phone.
Simple reason is the person is Hands On and I ask questions and the person looking at the problem is my eyes and We cure the problem/question. .......................lm

yes exactly there is no way in hell i would have figured out the timing problem i had without Loud mouse's ear and voice on the other end of the phone!!
James

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: on the phone:)

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for the support James. ............lm
thumper2146 wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote: Ya don't have any idea how many tuning/timing and kick lever problems using the good old phone.

yes exactly there is no way in hell i would have figured out the timing problem i had without Loud mouse's ear and voice on the other end of the phone!!
James

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home