Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Proper Kick Start Assembly--Seeking 100% Clarity

305explr
honda305.com Member

Proper Kick Start Assembly--Seeking 100% Clarity

Post by 305explr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:12 pm

I've read through all the threads I can find regarding how to set up the kickstart lever, gears, and spring, but cannot make complete sense of what I've read. For one thing, when ppl have written to turn a gear "clockwise" is that as viewed from the inside or outside, as though moving the actual kickstart clockwise?

My specific problem is that I cannot seem to get a proper tension on the spring to make the lever return, nor am I sure if it should stop. I also think there are aspects to this assembly I'm simply not grasping. (Where is the "stop"?)

Can someone please post instructions for others as well as myself? I've attached a pic w/ all punch marks labeled ( ex. " 0 --->") on the kickstart gear (bottom) and pinion (above). That way everyone who reads this in the future can have the same pic as reference...

Note that my "0" marks will not meet as the gear and pinion turn...a problem?

Any help appreciated.
Attachments
kickstart assmbly.JPG

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Proper Kick Start Assembly--Seeking 100% Clarity

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 am

Remove the bottom gear and install it with the "punch marks" aligned.
Then you can set the spring tension by aligning the "O's" and place the cover on the engine. ..................lm

305explr wrote:I've read through all the threads I can find regarding how to set up the kickstart lever, gears, and spring, but cannot make complete sense of what I've read. For one thing, when ppl have written to turn a gear "clockwise" is that as viewed from the inside or outside, as though moving the actual kickstart clockwise?

My specific problem is that I cannot seem to get a proper tension on the spring to make the lever return, nor am I sure if it should stop. I also think there are aspects to this assembly I'm simply not grasping. (Where is the "stop"?)

Can someone please post instructions for others as well as myself? I've attached a pic w/ all punch marks labeled ( ex. " 0 --->") on the kickstart gear (bottom) and pinion (above). That way everyone who reads this in the future can have the same pic as reference...

Note that my "0" marks will not meet as the gear and pinion turn...a problem?

Any help appreciated.

305explr
honda305.com Member

Halfway there...

Post by 305explr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:51 pm

LM and the individual who PM's me, thanks for the reply.

LM...I followed your advice and removed/reinstalled the kickstart gear so the "0" marks meet and align as the gear and pinion rotate.

With those "0" marks aligning (and under some tension at that point), when looking at the cover, the punch mark on the kickstart shaft is at about 12 o'clock. When I position the kickstart lever so its punchmark aligns with that, the lever has great return action...but it keeps on its return arc (12, 11, 10, 9.. o'clock) and heads toward the back wheel! It's as though there's too much tension.

My other option is to ignore the punch marks on the kickstart shaft and lever, and mount the lever w/out any tension on it at all (see pic). The return action is feeble at best.

Additional advice appreciated. Just trying to see if there's a set procedure for this, or if it's more of a hunt and peck.
Attachments
kickstart assmbly exterior.JPG

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Halfway there...

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 pm

ALL! ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! index marks MUST BE ALIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!. .........lm

305explr wrote:LM and the individual who PM's me, thanks for the reply.

LM...I followed your advice and removed/reinstalled the kickstart gear so the "0" marks meet and align as the gear and pinion rotate.

With those "0" marks aligning (and under some tension at that point), when looking at the cover, the punch mark on the kickstart shaft is at about 12 o'clock. When I position the kickstart lever so its punchmark aligns with that, the lever has great return action...but it keeps on its return arc (12, 11, 10, 9.. o'clock) and heads toward the back wheel! It's as though there's too much tension.

My other option is to ignore the punch marks on the kickstart shaft and lever, and mount the lever w/out any tension on it at all (see pic). The return action is feeble at best.

Additional advice appreciated. Just trying to see if there's a set procedure for this, or if it's more of a hunt and peck.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 am

Listen to The Man!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I may be dense but I'm still confused. "Align all indexes" is too vague for me
and leaves too many questions. I've read through both of Silver's manuals as well as the very CL-centric clymer manual and the shop manual. Neither of these so much as mention any procedure whatsoever.

Can someone please do a step by step walkthrough of this because I feel like so much is being left out in between the lines.

305explr, did you figure it out exactly?

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:07 pm

The part that's missing in that explanation is that the starter shaft (sticking out of the trans) must be rotated fully to hit its stop before the cover is fitted. "All" means the pinions must match and so mucst the lever and shaft

The main shaft must be fully rotated or else the kicker will go back too far and teh other gears and lever must be aligned to get the kicker at the right angle and with the right tension.
Last edited by teazer on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home