Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Proper Kick Start Assembly--Seeking 100% Clarity

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Here's what worked for me.

1. The spring end that wraps around the bolt needs to have the orientation of an "S".
2. There is a punch mark and a "o" on the each of the two gears.
3. After the top gear is installed on top of the "S" spring, align the lower gear when installing so that EITHER the punch or the "o" line up.
4. With the crankcase flipped over, install the kickstart lever so that the punch on the arm aligns with the small punch on the tip of the shaft.
5. Go to the bike and turn the kickstart shaft that's in the transmission clockwise until it will not move any further.
6. Then as the kickstart lever is rotated, the gears should rotate around and either both punches or both "o's" will align. You'll find that the lever is now pointing up at about 2 o'clock.
7. Now hold the lever in this position and slip it onto the kickstart shaft on the bike and you're good to go.

I made the initial mistake of having the spring installed backwards, and not rotating the kickstart shaft clockwise completely. Thanks to Ed and everyone for help clarifying everything.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

good explanation

Post by jleewebb » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks for a good, clear explanation Scott. I've copied it and added to my archives...

So your bike is running, you're riding, all is well, right? Wahoo!

To answer question about shift points, I generally shift around 6-7K, lower if just "cruising," higher if showing off. You gotta flog it a little if you want to go fast. Keep it above 4-4.5k when riding if you don't want to have to downshift to accelerate. Lugging the engine is not a good idea. I'm no expert, Iinterested to see how others answer this question.

--Lee
Attachments
manual p-21.jpg
Will change a bit with x-ed gears.
Will change a bit with x-ed gears.
Re changing gears rapidly: How to wear out shifter forks and drum in a hurry...? Worked for me.
Re changing gears rapidly: How to wear out shifter forks and drum in a hurry...? Worked for me.
manual p-18.jpg
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:00 am

I try to stick to shifting around 5-6Krpm, but my little ends rattle like a good'un after 4K. Dropping the motor soon (yeah, right!). I peak it out regularly, figuring I have nothing to break before rebuild, but it sounds like shite.

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Lee,

Thanks for the owner's manual pictures, they are great. I concur with the RPMs you suggest. I try to keep my CB77 between 4000 and 6000 when cruising through the twisty roads through the mountains just N of Los Angeles.

Yesterday I took a 120 mile ride with the local Norton Owners Club, and had to forget about those limits to try and stay close on the uphills.

Those Norton guys all just seemed to be taller, richer, and FASTER. Oh well, they showed a lot of interest in my old Honda, and I had a great time.

I may be slow, but sometimes I break down anyway.

Larry

gwfischer@hotmail.com
honda305.com Member

Post by gwfischer@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks very much for the step by step on the alignment of the kickstarter gears.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:23 pm

How much should the kickstarter shaft rotate?

The guidance says rotate the kickstart shaft fully clockwise when assembling - I assume this is just by hand. Mine will only rotate 5 - 10 degrees. I am guessing this is not correct?

Greg

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Greg

It depends where it starts. You are just turning the shaft (the splined shaft sticking out of the gearbox) clockwise to it's 'park' position. It needs to be there so that th eratchet pawl is properly disengaged when the engine is running.

Depending on where it is when you start turning it can be a lot or a little.

Note - theis is the inner shaft, not the outer one the kickstart attaches to.

G

GregMcN wrote:How much should the kickstarter shaft rotate?

The guidance says rotate the kickstart shaft fully clockwise when assembling - I assume this is just by hand. Mine will only rotate 5 - 10 degrees. I am guessing this is not correct?

Greg
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home