Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Proper Kick Start Assembly--Seeking 100% Clarity

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 am

Hi G
I am talking about the splined shaft inside the RH casing. The kickstart seemed to be locked before I took the casing off and now off I can only rotate the splined shaft a few degrees by hand so I am trying to decide if I need a full strip down or if l have I have missed/ misunderstood something.
Based on what I have seen so far I am thinking the engine may have been assembled by someone who did not know what they were doing to pass on to an unsuspecting punter (me!) but l am trying not to be too paranoid!
Greg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 am

That shaft will only turn to a point where it gets to the adjustment which HONDA designed to be the start point.
Read the previous adjustment information and assemble as described. ....................lm
GregMcN wrote:Hi G
I am talking about the splined shaft inside the RH casing. The kickstart seemed to be locked before I took the casing off and now off I can only rotate the splined shaft a few degrees by hand so I am trying to decide if I need a full strip down or if l have I have missed/ misunderstood something.
Based on what I have seen so far I am thinking the engine may have been assembled by someone who did not know what they were doing to pass on to an unsuspecting punter (me!) but l am trying not to be too paranoid!
Greg

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 am

Greg

You should be able to turn clockwise until you hit the stop. Turning it anticlockwise will need quite a bit of effort as you are turning the engine over (what the kickstart is doing) against compression.

These two things may make you feel that it is locked up.

G

GregMcN wrote:Hi G
Greg
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks G

Unfortunately it will not turn even with the plugs out.

Greg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 pm

If you are trying to turn the engine over with your hand on the Kick Shaft,
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lm
GregMcN wrote:Thanks G

Unfortunately it will not turn even with the plugs out.

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:21 am

No, I was not clear, it will not turn when I refit and use the kickstart lever even with the plugs out.

Greg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:42 am

Got it.
I'd say the engine is stuck/frozen.
Time to take parts off.
Or you can try to soak the pistons wirh PB Blaster ar any other penetrate. ..............lm
GregMcN wrote:No, I was not clear, it will not turn when I refit and use the kickstart lever even with the plugs out.

Greg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home