Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil Filter Servicing CA77

hondadreamca77
honda305.com Member

Oil Filter Servicing CA77

Post by hondadreamca77 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:03 pm

OK....maybe it's me but I could not find step by step on oil filter service search or in download manual. Just redirect me rather than reinventing wheel if its there. Anywho....pleading ignorance...simple steps to service centrifigal oil filter.. I see under engine the plate (kinda like old VW's) around oil plug and also see on L. side of motor 4 screws and plate by spark plug....where to start without breaking anything.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Oil filter is under the circular plate on the clutch cover. It is a centrifugal device. You may need to remove the complete clutch cover to get it back in again after cleaning....

Item 10 in the picture

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-ca77-dream-t ... ml#results

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

willy_j
honda305.com Member

Post by willy_j » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 am

I believe G-Man meant number 18 and everything attached to it.

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 am

It's just a simple 10-step process...

1) Remove the three cover screws with an impact driver. The one at 6-o'clock can be... troublesome.
2) There's 2 slots for screwdrivers that allow you to start to jiggle-pry the round cover plate off. If you have the late version, the hole in the clutch cover is large and you can take everything out and put it all back together without removing anything else.
3) Remove the shaft, washer, centrifugal filter and chain or the chain can stay on the crank sprocket. There's a small radial pin on the end of the shaft, sometimes it's loose, usually not. Leave it in there.
4) Remove the snap ring, then with a wooden dowel, pound the centrifugal oil filter cover off from behind through the hole that the shaft goes through. Slowly but surely going around the outer circumference.
5) Clean everything out. There's usually a layer of soft material on the inside of the spinner that you can scrape out. How clean you get it depends on your personality.
6) Reassemble. There is a thin o-ring on the spinner cover that you should try to reuse. If not, Ohio Cycle. Make sure the snap ring seats fully in its groove. Sometimes a little light pressure in a vise helps to fully reveal the groove.
7) Put the washer on the shaft and the shaft into the spinner so that the washer is between the little radial pin and the spinner cover.
8) Get yourself some wire and bend up a hook that you can use to loop the chain around the back side of the spinner on to its sprocket as you hold the spinner by the shaft with your other hand. This is easier for left-handed people and you have to do it once yourself, it cannot be explained further.
9) Once the chain is on, fully insert the shaft through the filter into the engine case. Rotate the shaft so the radial pin is at 12-o'clock. Look at the back of the cover plate to see why.
10) Replace the cover plate with the 2 o-rings. One is available from Honda, the other Ohio Cycle. Don't be a hero tightening those screws up, I've never seen one come loose.
11) If you have an early clutch cover with the small hole. Just take off the whole clutch cover. The process is similar.

hondadreamca77
honda305.com Member

Oil Filter svc.

Post by hondadreamca77 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:55 am

Many thanks Lesco48 for taking time to explain this....I'll give this a try next oil svc.

Steve

texasgrape
honda305.com Member

Oil filter spinner chain installation, ideas?

Post by texasgrape » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 pm

I have been working for hours trying to get the chain back on w/spinner. I read the tips below by 48lesco, seems easy enough but that chain has the best of me. Clutch cover is the next option, but trying not to go that route. Ideas? Guess I can just keep plugging away, but thought someone may have a helpful hint.

NOTE: I have been putting the chain on inside gear first, then trying to lift up chain w/wire to put on spinner w/per step 8 below. Thanks! BTW, filter did its job, horribly dirty, so glad I checked it; I guess the PO never did. Thanks.

48lesco wrote:It's just a simple 10-step process...

1) Remove the three cover screws with an impact driver. The one at 6-o'clock can be... troublesome.
2) There's 2 slots for screwdrivers that allow you to start to jiggle-pry the round cover plate off. If you have the late version, the hole in the clutch cover is large and you can take everything out and put it all back together without removing anything else.
3) Remove the shaft, washer, centrifugal filter and chain or the chain can stay on the crank sprocket. There's a small radial pin on the end of the shaft, sometimes it's loose, usually not. Leave it in there.
4) Remove the snap ring, then with a wooden dowel, pound the centrifugal oil filter cover off from behind through the hole that the shaft goes through. Slowly but surely going around the outer circumference.
5) Clean everything out. There's usually a layer of soft material on the inside of the spinner that you can scrape out. How clean you get it depends on your personality.
6) Reassemble. There is a thin o-ring on the spinner cover that you should try to reuse. If not, Ohio Cycle. Make sure the snap ring seats fully in its groove. Sometimes a little light pressure in a vise helps to fully reveal the groove.
7) Put the washer on the shaft and the shaft into the spinner so that the washer is between the little radial pin and the spinner cover.
8) Get yourself some wire and bend up a hook that you can use to loop the chain around the back side of the spinner on to its sprocket as you hold the spinner by the shaft with your other hand. This is easier for left-handed people and you have to do it once yourself, it cannot be explained further.
9) Once the chain is on, fully insert the shaft through the filter into the engine case. Rotate the shaft so the radial pin is at 12-o'clock. Look at the back of the cover plate to see why.
10) Replace the cover plate with the 2 o-rings. One is available from Honda, the other Ohio Cycle. Don't be a hero tightening those screws up, I've never seen one come loose.
11) If you have an early clutch cover with the small hole. Just take off the whole clutch cover. The process is similar.

jkv357
honda305.com Member

Re: Oil filter spinner chain installation, ideas?

Post by jkv357 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:38 pm

texasgrape wrote:I have been working for hours trying to get the chain back on w/spinner. I read the tips below by 48lesco, seems easy enough but that chain has the best of me. Clutch cover is the next option, but trying not to go that route. Ideas? Guess I can just keep plugging away, but thought someone may have a helpful hint.

NOTE: I have been putting the chain on inside gear first, then trying to lift up chain w/wire to put on spinner w/per step 8 below. Thanks! BTW, filter did its job, horribly dirty, so glad I checked it; I guess the PO never did. Thanks.
That's exactly what I did last time I cleaned mine, so I'm not sure why it won't cooperate for you.

Do you have a small hook bent on the end of the wire? I think I tipped the spinner to the right in order to get a better shot at the forward sprocket.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home