Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 clutch cover screws

David M. Lyon
honda305.com Member

CL77 clutch cover screws

Post by David M. Lyon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 am

Can anyone tell me a trick to get the clutch cover Phillips head screws loose without stripping the heads? ...Even with an impact driver they want to strip out before they'll come loose.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 clutch cover screws

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:00 am

Poor start.
You join.
Ask question.
But you didn't put any information in your profile area. ..................lm

David M. Lyon wrote:Can anyone tell me a trick to get the clutch cover Phillips head screws loose without stripping the heads? ...Even with an impact driver they want to strip out before they'll come loose.

David M. Lyon
honda305.com Member

Post by David M. Lyon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:15 am

Didn't know all that noise was required to ask a question. Sorry if I offended you. I'll add information as I find where it needs to be posted. This forum is similar to the Smokstak Antique engines site I've been on for years, but NOT QUITE! I'm still in discovery.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 am

Sort of like if you need a part or actual help and you offer the information when you join.
You may find someone near you and others with similar interests. ......................lm

David M. Lyon wrote:Didn't know all that noise was required to ask a question. Sorry if I offended you. I'll add information as I find where it needs to be posted. This forum is similar to the Smokstak Antique engines site I've been on for years, but NOT QUITE! I'm still in discovery.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:21 am

I'll add information as I find where it needs to be posted
The page you joined with. ................lm

David M. Lyon wrote:Didn't know all that noise was required to ask a question. Sorry if I offended you. I'll add information as I find where it needs to be posted. This forum is similar to the Smokstak Antique engines site I've been on for years, but NOT QUITE! I'm still in discovery.

Yedar
honda305.com Member

Post by Yedar » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Are you are using a hand single impact driver? this is best.

Tighten the screw first to break the seal.
Try heating the screw with a soldering iron.
Use a drill & Eezyout extractor or drill/grind the head off.
Good luck.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:37 pm

David, Log in and click on "Profile" at the top of the screen or at the bottom of any of your posts. We're a close community that likes to know where our friends are from. And LM is right, it can be helpful when you're located close to another member. I'm not, but I wish that I was.

You need JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) impact screwdrivers. Many of us use Impacta made by Vessel. You can find them on ebay, Amazon or elsewhere. They're great on those stuck JIS screws and also useful with any Phillips head screw. See this review on WebBikeWorld:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... rivers.htm

If you've already ruined screw heads, drill them off. The remainder of the screw will come out easily once you've removed the cover. I think it's just the heads that get bound up.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home