□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

cb77E cylinder diameter

Brian Foose
honda305.com Member

Post by Brian Foose » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:54 pm

wow. maybe its the DIY cheapskate in me, but my brain is screaming "there has got to be another way!" i suppose the cylinder sleeve is too hard to straight knurl the OD in a lathe to get a couple tenths back?

and since we're discussing terrible ideas ive had, i looked at the casting to see if there was room to bore them a little larger and then make an aluminum sleeve for the steel sleeve. probably a stupid idea, but possible, i figured....except there really isnt that kind of room. wall thickness would need to be pretty skinny, i was hoping for .125 at the minimum but i think it would be way under that if you were to try it. the bores just come way too close to the cam chain cavity toward the bottom, you really cant take that much.

anyway, let me mull this over for a few days. ill figure something out.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Copper plating is a good idea for heat transfer but it's easier to get some new sleeves machined. Honda twins of that era did not have enough interference fit and oil seeps into he gap and makes heat transfer even less effective.

Cheapest solution is probably to get some LA Sleeve sleeves and machine them and the block to make them fit.

Or get a CB750 barrel and pop those sleeves out, shorten them a touch and have the barrels machined to fit and then bore to 64mm and fit big bore pistons. Or get Bore-Tech to do that for you .

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 pm

I disagree. I have done them both ways many times and it's far easier and cheaper to copper plate than re-sleeve with LA or any others. Copper is a great way to recycle original sleeves that still have enough material on the inside for more oversize bores. Now if money is no issue my favorite option is to go big bore with custom oversize sleeve and 66mm 11 to 1 compression forged piston. The 370cc package really makes power!

Tim

teazer wrote:Copper plating is a good idea for heat transfer but it's easier to get some new sleeves machined. Honda twins of that era did not have enough interference fit and oil seeps into he gap and makes heat transfer even less effective.

Cheapest solution is probably to get some LA Sleeve sleeves and machine them and the block to make them fit.

Or get a CB750 barrel and pop those sleeves out, shorten them a touch and have the barrels machined to fit and then bore to 64mm and fit big bore pistons. Or get Bore-Tech to do that for you .

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:00 am

Brian; lots of good used cyl castings out there. pretty sure somebody has some with tight sleeves, I probably do If you strike out otherwise. really, they never were that tight anyway, a little heat and they should drop right out. don't overthink it.
Good luck
Randy

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home