Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Electric start squeal?

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Electric start squeal?

Post by GregMcN » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi

In replying to another post it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. I rebuild the starter clutch on my cb77 and whilst it works ok it does squeal. At the time there were different views on whether to use any kind of lubrication as Honda suggests some silicone but with no spec it was difficult to know what to do and in the end I did not use anything, so question is whether ‘squealing’ is common and/or likely to be a problem longer term.

Greg

Jinggoey
honda305.com Member

Post by Jinggoey » Wed May 02, 2018 4:42 am

I love it so much If it is useful and knowledgeable, then this is my first place to come.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Re: Electric start squeal?

Post by Seadog » Wed May 02, 2018 5:23 am

It’s a good question, Greg. Mine just started squealing as well and my starter clutch is good. I can’t determine whether it’s the clutch or the starter itself. I hope someone has some insight on the problem.
GregMcN wrote:Hi

In replying to another post it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. I rebuild the starter clutch on my cb77 and whilst it works ok it does squeal. At the time there were different views on whether to use any kind of lubrication as Honda suggests some silicone but with no spec it was difficult to know what to do and in the end I did not use anything, so question is whether ‘squealing’ is common and/or likely to be a problem longer term.

Greg

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:30 am

Mine has done this since I've owned the bike. Just rebuilt the clutch, still squealing. When I rebuilt the clutch, I noticed the crank had a sort of sticky film on it, almost like a rosin. I wonder if this is old lube breaking down and causing it to slip in an odd manner and vibrate like a violin string.

My bike now starts every time, so I don't mind the occasional squeal. A couple thousand miles and 9 years on the bike, no complete failure of the system yet!

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Mine does it too, has since I overhauled it. Put new roller and spring kit in it at the time. That was 8 years ago and several thousand miles, so, no, not a problem. Assembled dry. Only does it when starting cold and hasn't started at that moment, maybe a bit of kickback causes it.
63 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home