Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB 77 camshaft

roger mid wales
honda305.com Member

CB 77 camshaft

Post by roger mid wales » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am

Just starting to learn all about these beauties. I have a 64 CB 77 converted to race spec. Looks and sounds really fine with megga exhausts. An oil leak from the front head joint has prompted a head off job. So far engine looks really clean ( as far as I have got!!) Already I have a question. The cam chain seems to be of the endless variety. I would have preferred to split it and use a joining link but there does not seem to be room for the pin extractor or rivet tool. Is there some tool available to do this or have I got to take out the cams to get the chain off?

pemdoc65
honda305.com Member

Post by pemdoc65 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:28 am

You should have room to get a dremel with a small cutoff wheel into the space, then cut the side plates on one of the links. You'll have to remove a link anyway if you plan to reuse the cam chain with a master link. If you do this, you'll need to pack the area with rags to keep the swarf out of the top end. Or you can remove the cams. I would replace the chain with new.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home