Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1968 CL77 No Start After Rebuild

Honda305rider
honda305.com Member

1968 CL77 No Start After Rebuild

Post by Honda305rider » Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm stumped, I re-ringed and honed my cylinder bores, bike ran fine before just wanted to freshen it up a bit. Now the bike will not start and back fires through the intake/ carbs and flames out the exhaust. Doesn't sound like it wants to start up at all.

Things I've doubled checked so far:

- Cam timing "O" mark is in sync with the stator at "T" Camshaft mark in 6 O'clock position
- Valve Lash
- Points Gap and Timing
- Spark present while kicking over (with new and old plugs)
- All wiring hooked back up
- Battery at 12.5V
- Points light up at F and LF with test light

I'm very confused, never had an issue like this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

G3
honda305.com Member

Backfires

Post by G3 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:26 pm

When setting the timing chain on, did you align the “notch” on the cam shaft end with the “O” mark on the cam chain sprocket?

Honda305rider
honda305.com Member

Re: Backfires

Post by Honda305rider » Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 am

G3 wrote:When setting the timing chain on, did you align the “notch” on the cam shaft end with the “O” mark on the cam chain sprocket?
Thanks for the reply.

Originally when I put the timing chain on the camshaft the "O" mark on the sprocket was at the 12 O'clock relative to the top of the cylinder head with the cam points marker in the 6 O'clock position"facing downward." With the Stator at "T" mark of course.. I pulled the cam cover and checked this again last night at it showed the same result.

Is this incorrect, Did I flip my mechanical advance/ points opener 180 degrees out?

G3
honda305.com Member

Post by G3 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 am

If I’m not mistaken, the cam shaft notch should’ve been pointing up inline with the “O” marker.
I’m no rebuilder, but remembering (or trying to) what I did on my rebuild with LM on the phone. BUT.....

I’d suggest pm-ing Loud Mouse and relate your settings to him. He actually prefers phone conversation while you’re at the motor, and he’ll walk you through it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

G3
honda305.com Member

Post by G3 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Here is a photo which shows the correct orientation. Found it on a search of this site;

https://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcycle ... 003-X2.jpg

You can see the cam marker and the “O” are inline...both at 12 o’clock.
Hope this helps.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Backfires

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun May 27, 2018 10:31 am

Your points cam is 180 off.
You will need to remove the right side cam, remove the points cam clip, pull the points cam out and rotate it 180 and reassemble all parts. ..............lm

Honda305rider wrote:
G3 wrote:When setting the timing chain on, did you align the “notch” on the cam shaft end with the “O” mark on the cam chain sprocket?
Thanks for the reply.

Originally when I put the timing chain on the camshaft the "O" mark on the sprocket was at the 12 O'clock relative to the top of the cylinder head with the cam points marker in the 6 O'clock position"facing downward." With the Stator at "T" mark of course.. I pulled the cam cover and checked this again last night at it showed the same result.

Is this incorrect, Did I flip my mechanical advance/ points opener 180 degrees out?

G3
honda305.com Member

Backfires

Post by G3 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks Ed for verifying.
Haven't heard back from this fellow since then. Hopefully he's got it figured out.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home