Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Hard Starting CL77

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Hard Starting CL77

Post by Mrburnn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Good afternoon Forum,
I have finally finished the rebuild of my 1967 CL77, my first ever total rebuild project. I have been having a bit of difficulty fine tuning the idle (motor wants to stall) but my real problem is that the motor, at times, is impossible to start. I have had the bike running several times so I know it actually will start. I have followed the carb tuning and motor starting procedures offered by Loud Mouse (thank you sir) but it just seems like the bike doesn't want to start some days. If it doesn't fire on the first kick it typically will not start. Are these motors that finicky or do I still have adjustments to make? The cylinder are 0.75 mm over-bored, not sure if that changes any tuning or starting procedures.

I would appreciate hearing any comments or suggestions on how to get the bike to consistently start. Thank you for your time!

I tried to attach a picture of the bike but kept getting the error: "Tried to upload empty file". Not sure what that is all about.

Mrburnn

G3
honda305.com Member

Hard starting

Post by G3 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Well Mrburnn, I’ll take the first shot, although not an expert;

1) I’ll assume your’re getting spark, fuel and air.
2) If these are true, then you’re most likely fouling plugs. Start with new gapped plugs.
3) What is the standing charge on your battery before kicking the daylights out it? 12.5v or better? (Gets rough I know).
4) What notch, if you remember are the slide needles on? Try starting without the choke.
5) And you’re carb slides are installed correctly right?
6) Actual fuel flow to carbs. If you open the bowl drains...fuel comes out?
7) Carbs have been completely cleaned and all emulsion tubes and their tiny holes have been cleared? Air holes blown out etc.
8) After market carb kits? They can be tricky.
9) Float height in carbs.

These are just my thoughts. Maybe you’ve covered each thoroughly, but in frustration, sometimes I forget the simplest things.

Mine will start with choke up, one kick, then choke down, second or third kick and boom. Idles nice real quick. I think my needles are on the middle clip.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Hard Starting CL77

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:38 pm

I need to know what jets you have.
Where the clip on the needle is.
How you set the choke at first- then what. ................lm

Mrburnn wrote:Good afternoon Forum,
I have finally finished the rebuild of my 1967 CL77, my first ever total rebuild project. I have been having a bit of difficulty fine tuning the idle (motor wants to stall) but my real problem is that the motor, at times, is impossible to start. I have had the bike running several times so I know it actually will start. I have followed the carb tuning and motor starting procedures offered by Loud Mouse (thank you sir) but it just seems like the bike doesn't want to start some days. If it doesn't fire on the first kick it typically will not start. Are these motors that finicky or do I still have adjustments to make? The cylinder are 0.75 mm over-bored, not sure if that changes any tuning or starting procedures.

I would appreciate hearing any comments or suggestions on how to get the bike to consistently start. Thank you for your time!

I tried to attach a picture of the bike but kept getting the error: "Tried to upload empty file". Not sure what that is all about.

Mrburnn

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Post by Mrburnn » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 am

Thanks for your comments G3, I really appreciate the checklist. I'll go over all of those items again.

Loud Mouse,
I will pull the carbs this morning to check the jets and needle clip placement. Would it be possible for me to call you sometime to discuss this subject in greater detail?

Thanks again!
Mrburnn

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 am

Call now. ...............lm
830-895-0654

Mrburnn wrote:Thanks for your comments G3, I really appreciate the checklist. I'll go over all of those items again.

Loud Mouse,
I will pull the carbs this morning to check the jets and needle clip placement. Would it be possible for me to call you sometime to discuss this subject in greater detail?

Thanks again!
Mrburnn

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home