Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

PETCOCK

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 fuel Reserve

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Sort of sounds like the engineers forgot what that tube was for! .................lm

DJM wrote:I have both a CB77 and a CL77, both are earlier models which came with the cross over tube between the two sides of the tank. As the crossover tubes runs UNDER the main frame tubes it makes removing the tanks a real pain as you either have to drain the tank empty first or spill petrol (gas) over the engine. For this reason I've blanked off the crossover tube on both of my bikes.

Just be aware though that if you do this it WILL seriously reduce the available 'Reserve' capacity of the tank, the gas will be in there but just won't get to the tap and carbs,
leading to an enforced stop at the roadside even though there is gas in the tank.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just do!

Honda obviously thought this was OK and I suppose it saved a few Yen on each bike.

There is a Honda Service Bulletin issued in May 1967 which states that the crossover tube was deleted as 'it has been discovered that an equalizer tube is not necessary' but I'm not really sure that I agree!

catterar
honda305.com Member

Disconnect valve

Post by catterar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:43 am

I installed one of these. Not period correct but works for me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-Fue ... Swwzla~fkL

DJM
honda305.com Member

Fuel shut off valve.

Post by DJM » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm all for practicality on a bike I use regularly even if not totally original.

had thought about something like that but to use on the CB/CL crossover tube it needs to seal BOTH sides when disconnected otherwise you will still loose fuel. According to the description this one only appears to seal the female side. Of course you could always install two of them facing each other but to avoid spillage both would need to be operated at the same time. Tricky when they are tucked up under the gas tank.

Anyone know of one that seals both ends when split?

catterar
honda305.com Member

Post by catterar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm sorry I did not read that e-bay description before posting the link. This more like the one I installed. It does shut off both sides of the cross over. I'm using mine on a CA78 and it is not noticeable unless you look for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Connect-Di ... +off+valve

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home