Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

PETCOCK

old mago
honda305.com Member

silver paint

Post by old mago » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:54 pm

honda cloud silver...best if you can take an OEM part and get a match.....some shops do it in a rattle can

Merz64cb77
honda305.com Member

Cloud silver

Post by Merz64cb77 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:11 am

The Honda code for cloud silver is 08707-NH35M.
67' CB77
66’ CB77
65’ bomber
68’ hellcat

old mago
honda305.com Member

Post by old mago » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 pm

fatboy98 wrote:OK SO IF I PLUG OFF THAT 3rd FEED I CAN USE THAT PETCOCK? THE BIKE ALSO CAME WITH 2 TANKS THEY ARE ALLMOST IDENTICAL EXCEPT FOR ONE HAS A CROSS OVER TUBE ON THE BOTTOM AND ONE DOES NOT. ONE HAS A SEEM DOWN THE MIDDLE AND ONE DOES NOT. I WAS TOLD BY PREVIOUS OWNER THAT THE ONE WITH NO CROSS OVER WAS THE ORIGINAL ONE TO THE BIKE.THANX FOR THE HELP.
you just need to be sure that when you plug off the third feed you can still get a reserve

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm

??????????????????????. ...........lm

old mago wrote:
fatboy98 wrote:OK SO IF I PLUG OFF THAT 3rd FEED I CAN USE THAT PETCOCK? THE BIKE ALSO CAME WITH 2 TANKS THEY ARE ALLMOST IDENTICAL EXCEPT FOR ONE HAS A CROSS OVER TUBE ON THE BOTTOM AND ONE DOES NOT. ONE HAS A SEEM DOWN THE MIDDLE AND ONE DOES NOT. I WAS TOLD BY PREVIOUS OWNER THAT THE ONE WITH NO CROSS OVER WAS THE ORIGINAL ONE TO THE BIKE.THANX FOR THE HELP.
?????????you just need to be sure that when you plug off the third feed you can still get a reserve
?????????????????

fatboy98
honda305.com Member

petcock

Post by fatboy98 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:??????????????????????. ...........lm

old mago wrote:
?????????you just need to be sure that when you plug off the third feed you can still get a reserve
?????????????????
so how does the tank with no cross over get reserve?

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:15 am

If you remove the petcock and look into the top of it you will see two inlets for the gasoline, one a brass tube a few cm long and the other is a hole with no tube. The normal flow is through the tube and when the fuel level drops below it, you change the inlet to the tubeless hole, you reserve.

DJM
honda305.com Member

CL77 fuel Reserve

Post by DJM » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 pm

I have both a CB77 and a CL77, both are earlier models which came with the cross over tube between the two sides of the tank. As the crossover tubes runs UNDER the main frame tubes it makes removing the tanks a real pain as you either have to drain the tank empty first or spill petrol (gas) over the engine. For this reason I've blanked off the crossover tube on both of my bikes.

Just be aware though that if you do this it WILL seriously reduce the available 'Reserve' capacity of the tank, the gas will be in there but just won't get to the tap and carbs,
leading to an enforced stop at the roadside even though there is gas in the tank.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just do!

Honda obviously thought this was OK and I suppose it saved a few Yen on each bike.

There is a Honda Service Bulletin issued in May 1967 which states that the crossover tube was deleted as 'it has been discovered that an equalizer tube is not necessary' but I'm not really sure that I agree!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home