Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Camshaft chain confusion

jnbmoore
honda305.com Member

Camshaft chain confusion

Post by jnbmoore » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Need some advice...the camshaft chain on my 1965 Dream is a DK219. I purchased a 219H chain recently and upon trying to install it, I found that the master link I also bought off of ebay wouldn't fit (pin too big). I guess I didn't know there was a physical difference between DK219 and 219H chains. So now I need to either find a master link for a 219H chain or a DK 219 chain to fit my master link. What about other 219 chains such as 219T, 219SH, etc? Are they all physically different from each other and are any no good to use on a 65 Dream?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Cam Chains

Post by DJM » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:42 pm

There are numerous different 219 chain, all are the same pitch but having different widths, pin diameters, plate thicknesses etc.

Some, like the standard 219 come with a clip type joining link, others have 'soft end' pins which need to be rivetted in place (not difficult) and yet others use a 'simple' press on fit side plate, once the side plate is pressed on that's all that holds it in place I think these need a fair bit of pressure to get the side plate on and so may give the impression that the pins are too big.

The standard 219 chain is fine if you can find one, my next choice would be the 219T which is a shade wider than the CB72 cam sprocket but will usually run fine with no problem.

Anything other than those two is likely to be much stronger / more expensive than the CB77 motor needs

The OEM chain for the CB250/350 chain will fit the CB72 but comes as an endless chain which you will need to split to fit it on your CB77. You then need a CB450/500T soft link to join it up again.

It is possible to build a CB77 engine with an endless chain but only if you have the engine fully stripped down and the crankcases apart, not really worth the effort as using the 219T chain with a 'soft link' is pretty straightforward.

Easiest of course is the standard 219 chain which Honda thought good enough to use in the engines from new!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home