Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil spraying out of engine breather

Geedee
honda305.com Member

Post by Geedee » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:21 am

I recently bought an ex-USA 1966 CL77. After a first, quite hard ride of about 50 miles the RH side has been sprayed with oil from the breather tube.

I have no Shop Manual. The oil level was correct. Is this quite common? Has anyone else experienced this? Any useful comments appreciated. Thanks.

Gerald
UK

DJM
honda305.com Member

Oil leakage.

Post by DJM » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 am

This isn't common but can be a symptom of badly worn or even broken piston rings.

Does the bike run OK and were the plugs clean at the end of your fifty mile run?

Another possibility is that the breather plate at the top of the cylinder head has either been put in upside down or left out altogether.

You really need to get a Shop Manual or better still a copy of Bill Silver's excellent guide.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Geedee
honda305.com Member

Post by Geedee » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for that DJM.

I'm just getting to understand what goes where and this oil has not come from the breather tube from the cylinder head but one that appears from behind the tool tube in the direction of the air filters and runs down to just above the drive chain. The oil level is still good but the leak has covered the centre stand and other parts adjacent to the brake pedal mount etc.

I am trying to get together some literature which I have already sent off for. For example I ordered this from this forum: CD: Shop Manual - CB, CA, CL 72/77 Item Number h305PMCD2

Gerald

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home