Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

64 CB77 Clutch and shift shaft question

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: typical steel clutch plate thickness used over the year

Post by G-Man » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 am

Joep

It's interesting why the Honda clutch is so troublesome. I have tried the clutch on a CR72 and it is very light in operation. It uses a bellcrank lever instead of the screw-type lifter that we are familiar with.

My Triumph 955 clutch is also similar in dimensions and design to the Honda clutches but really light in operation at the lever while being able to handle 5x the torque.

It seems like there is room for development with the Honda clutch.

G
joep wrote:Been reading thru many posts on clutch info , Loud Mouse had a good description on the 3 waves of clutch plate configurations and different clutch centers ect , I could not find in my Honda shop manual the spec on the steel plate thickness either A or B types , does anyone have the thicker base plate spec used later on and the spec on the remaining steels ? I have many new steels in many different thickness to work with , trying to get a good grip without having to have the hands of a monster to pull the lever in . I am going to try to a thick steel base plate 2.60 mm and then alternate with the 5 frictions and steels but much thinner on the remaining steels.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home