Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

64 CB77 Clutch and shift shaft question

joep
honda305.com Member

Post by joep » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Just pulling apart my newest 64 ' CB77 project , clutch plates were stuck together and they appear to be early Barnett types. The base plate at the bottom of the center clutch hub has " Huntington Park " and " BTE " cast into the plate or spacer as the clutch has only 5 friction plates and 4 steel with the thick spacer at the bottom of the stack . A couple questions I have is if this is an older Barnett clutch spacer is it compatible with their newer plates ? Second question is that I noticed that the shift spindle shaft has a 14mm ID x 1mm thick thrust washer on the shift spindle shaft between the clutch cover and the shaft , I did not see that washer on the parts schematic , does that washer belong there as there is no end play on the shift spindle when the washer is installed .
Thanks in Advance !

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: 64 CB77 Clutch and shift shaft question

Post by G-Man » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:53 am

I'm not familiar with Barnet clutch parts so cannot help with that. The thrust washer sounds like an addition by a previous owner. It may be the one from the oil pump shaft......

G

joep wrote:Just pulling apart my newest 64 ' CB77 project , clutch plates were stuck together and they appear to be early Barnett types. The base plate at the bottom of the center clutch hub has " Huntington Park " and " BTE " cast into the plate or spacer as the clutch has only 5 friction plates and 4 steel with the thick spacer at the bottom of the stack . A couple questions I have is if this is an older Barnett clutch spacer is it compatible with their newer plates ? Second question is that I noticed that the shift spindle shaft has a 14mm ID x 1mm thick thrust washer on the shift spindle shaft between the clutch cover and the shaft , I did not see that washer on the parts schematic , does that washer belong there as there is no end play on the shift spindle when the washer is installed .
Thanks in Advance !
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

joep
honda305.com Member

Post by joep » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:11 pm

After doing some detective work I found that the washer that was on the shift shaft came from the top of the primary chain tensioner spring ( as shown in the parts schematic ) , someone though it belonged on the shift shaft not the top of the tensioner spring , not only was it hanging up the shift shaft is also was dragging on one of the clutch friction plates . The oil filter thrust washer was still in place on the outside of the filter , but your right about that being a possibility as the oil filter thrust washer also has a 14mm I D also . There is a reason Honda made that shift shaft flat on top so it wound not contact the clutch .

: > )

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:29 am

Joep

Great detective work.

G

joep wrote:After doing some detective work I found that the washer that was on the shift shaft came from the top of the primary chain tensioner spring ( as shown in the parts schematic ) , someone though it belonged on the shift shaft not the top of the tensioner spring , not only was it hanging up the shift shaft is also was dragging on one of the clutch friction plates . The oil filter thrust washer was still in place on the outside of the filter , but your right about that being a possibility as the oil filter thrust washer also has a 14mm I D also . There is a reason Honda made that shift shaft flat on top so it wound not contact the clutch .

: > )
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Not sure this will help do to the date of your message.
That is a BARNETT plate and is made of magnesium.
Over the years I've been rebuilding these engines I gathered 5 Barnett clutches and every first plate was warped from the spring pressure bending it over the tabs which are on the center hub.
I ordered a Barnett clutch and it came with the disc made with aluminum stamped out of sheet aluminum. ......................lm

joep wrote:Just pulling apart my newest 64 ' CB77 project , clutch plates were stuck together and they appear to be early Barnett types. The base plate at the bottom of the center clutch hub has " Huntington Park " and " BTE " cast into the plate or spacer as the clutch has only 5 friction plates and 4 steel with the thick spacer at the bottom of the stack . A couple questions I have is if this is an older Barnett clutch spacer is it compatible with their newer plates ? Second question is that I noticed that the shift spindle shaft has a 14mm ID x 1mm thick thrust washer on the shift spindle shaft between the clutch cover and the shaft , I did not see that washer on the parts schematic , does that washer belong there as there is no end play on the shift spindle when the washer is installed .
Thanks in Advance !

joep
honda305.com Member

Barnett Clutch

Post by joep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:06 pm

Spoke to Barnett and that thick base plate made of Magnesium is dates back to pre-1965 when they were located in Huntington Park before the move to the current Ventura , Ca location. The friction plates were the oldies as well , I am working with them on using their new plates and springs .

joep
honda305.com Member

typical steel clutch plate thickness used over the years?

Post by joep » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Been reading thru many posts on clutch info , Loud Mouse had a good description on the 3 waves of clutch plate configurations and different clutch centers ect , I could not find in my Honda shop manual the spec on the steel plate thickness either A or B types , does anyone have the thicker base plate spec used later on and the spec on the remaining steels ? I have many new steels in many different thickness to work with , trying to get a good grip without having to have the hands of a monster to pull the lever in . I am going to try to a thick steel base plate 2.60 mm and then alternate with the 5 frictions and steels but much thinner on the remaining steels.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home