Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Where to hold crank while tightening crank drive sproket L/S

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:24 am

LM

Merry Christmas - The Villiers tool is a neat device that fits between the two sprockets, locking them together.

https://villiersservices.co.uk/index.ph ... ufkn4kgub7

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:What is a VILLER'S Tool?. ......................lm

G-Man wrote:DJM Wasn't talking about undoing the nut with the chain in place. Just locking the two sprockets, like the Villiers tool does.

Not much of a spline in those cranks. Just a some shallow scores on the center pin to try and improve the friction between pin and flywheel.

In cranks like TZ series Yamahas they used to weld the crankpins to stop them slipping.

G

mike in idaho wrote:"I'm not sure what point you're making here but, from the CB77 Owners handbook max. torque for one of these engines is 18.08 ft.lbs which would me measured at the crank (sprocket)"

It doesn't matter what the engine produces for torque, I was just pointing out the force needed to balance out 50 foot pounds, on the sprocket nut, with the trans in low gear. Seems like a better way to hold the shaft from turning then jamming something in the primary chain. Easier too, since the alternator bolt is already uncovered and right next to the rear sprocket. I've worked on enough brand X two-stroke twin cranks to be familiar with crankshaft twisting. The Honda crank is quite a bit different with some pretty robust splines between the inside flywheels and well supported by four main bearings in a rigid, horizontally split crankcase.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:30 am

Thank you G. ..................lm

G-Man wrote:LM

Merry Christmas - The Villiers tool is a neat device that fits between the two sprockets, locking them together.

https://villiersservices.co.uk/index.ph ... ufkn4kgub7

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:What is a VILLER'S Tool?. ......................lm

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home