□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Where to hold crank while tightening crank drive sproket L/S

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am

If you're holding one end of the crank and doing the nut up at the other end, that's a great way of twisting the crank out of line. If you've ever trued a crank you'll know how easy they are to deflect.

Same fitting new outer bearings. Always support the crank close to where you are pushing.

Better to absorb the force as near to its application as possible.

Villiers used to supply a little block which fitted perfectly between the two primary drive sprockets.

https://villiersservices.co.uk/index.ph ... cts_id=418

G

mike in idaho wrote:If you have a strap wrench on the rotor there is no need to hold the brake.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:46 am

G-Man wrote:... If you've ever trued a crank you'll know how easy they are to deflect.
Amen to that!

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm

If it was that easy to twist a crank out of register it would get twisted every time you opened the throttle wide open. In first gear with the output shaft nut getting say, 50 foot pounds of torque, that torque figure would be divided by the ratio of first gear(2.788:1) then divided farther by the ratio of the primary drive(3.13:1)= 5.73 foot pounds at the alternator bolt. I think the crank will handle that.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:55 am

Just not good Engineering practice.

Supporting the applied force directly by locking the sprockets is easier and safer all round. The sprockets are designed to transmit torque. The alternator rotor is not.

Multiplying or dividing by the primary drive or gearbox ratios is irrelevant for the torque being transmitted from one end of the crank from the other.

If you look at the wear marks on the big ends these built-up cranks twist under load and the wear occurs at one edge of the crank-pin/rod/roller as they are pushed out of parallel.

G

mike in idaho wrote:If it was that easy to twist a crank out of register it would get twisted every time you opened the throttle wide open. In first gear with the output shaft nut getting say, 50 foot pounds of torque, that torque figure would be divided by the ratio of first gear(2.788:1) then divided farther by the ratio of the primary drive(3.13:1)= 5.73 foot pounds at the alternator bolt. I think the crank will handle that.
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:54 am

G-Man wrote:Just not good Engineering practice.

Supporting the applied force directly by locking the sprockets is easier and safer all round. The sprockets are designed to transmit torque. The alternator rotor is not.

Multiplying or dividing by the primary drive or gearbox ratios is irrelevant for the torque being transmitted from one end of the crank from the other.

If you look at the wear marks on the big ends these built-up cranks twist under load and the wear occurs at one edge of the crank-pin/rod/roller as they are pushed out of parallel.

G

Sounds like sound advice there, G-man, and much appreciated, especially since I will be getting into one of these motors, before long, myself. Since the crankshaft is "Pressed together", it is very understandable, how making the wong move, could throw things out of whack.
Working Toward Being Able To Work On MY Motorcycle Projects (Trying To Get Past "Other" Projects & I Think I Am Making Progress?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Looks more like water pitting than side play wear to me. ...............lm

G

mike in idaho wrote:If it was that easy to twist a crank out of register it would get twisted every time you opened the throttle wide open. In first gear with the output shaft nut getting say, 50 foot pounds of torque, that torque figure would be divided by the ratio of first gear(2.788:1) then divided farther by the ratio of the primary drive(3.13:1)= 5.73 foot pounds at the alternator bolt. I think the crank will handle that.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:03 pm

LM - Not side play wear just high contact force causing classic rolling contact fatigue. High contact forces cause the metal to crack under the surface.

Then the cracks join up and the bits break away (spalling). This happens at the highest contact force part of the power stroke.

If the two bearing surfaces are not in parallel contact the local contact force is higher.

http://www.tribonet.org/wiki/rolling-contact-fatigue/

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Looks more like water pitting than side play wear to me. ...............lm

G

'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home