Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Endless cam chain

Kthomas55
honda305.com Member

Endless cam chain

Post by Kthomas55 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:01 am

I bought a ne w cam chain and it has no master clip. It’s of the endless variety. I’m taking the engine completely apart so I don’t see this as a real problem but ?
Any words of wisdom when installing ? Will I have enough slack ?
Thanks

DJM
honda305.com Member

Endless cam chain.

Post by DJM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Well, yes, you can build a CB72 engine with an endless chain but it's a bit of a pain.
Obviously the chain has to go round the crank as you build the bottom end but the top end is the bigger challenge. You need to fit the cam sprocket 'under' the loop of the chain before you fit the camshafts but the rocker arms have to be in place first.

Not easy at all, it can be done but I'm not sure it's worth the effort, easier by far is to split the chain and fit a split link.

BTW, If you have an endless chain it's probably a 219T which isn't actually the correct chain, should be a 219.

Normally a 219T will have 'soft' link which need to be rivetted up once in place, the 219 will have a normal 'split link' with a spring clip. These are pretty reliable and Honda built about 250,000 C/CB and CL engines using them.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home