Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Bearing spun.

Frank
honda305.com Member

Bearing spun.

Post by Frank » Sat May 18, 2019 11:58 am

I split the case halves on my cb77 today to reseal, as I had a small oil leak. Upon inspection of the case halves, I noticed that at some point in time, That the bearings must have spun in the case. It doesn't seem bad, but non the less they did spin. The bearing spin freely now. Is this something that I should address? Background: I bought this bike sight unseen to add to my collection, I know It sat for a very long time and I suspect that the engine was stuck at some point. I don't know much more than that, but I did get it running and rode it a bit before tearing into. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Tootie

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Bearing spun.

Post by G-Man » Sat May 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Which bearing spun?
Are the dowels in place now?
Are the bearings loose in the case when assembled and torqued up?

You could try a few drops of loctite on just one half of the case. If you do both halves it will prevent disassembly.

G

Frank wrote:I split the case halves on my cb77 today to reseal, as I had a small oil leak. Upon inspection of the case halves, I noticed that at some point in time, That the bearings must have spun in the case. It doesn't seem bad, but non the less they did spin. The bearing spin freely now. Is this something that I should address? Background: I bought this bike sight unseen to add to my collection, I know It sat for a very long time and I suspect that the engine was stuck at some point. I don't know much more than that, but I did get it running and rode it a bit before tearing into. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Tootie
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Frank
honda305.com Member

Post by Frank » Sat May 18, 2019 2:25 pm

The bearings on each end of output shaft. I can hardly feel the spun marks. I havn't tried to tighten the case back up. Thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri May 24, 2019 5:06 pm

CAN you call me on this PLEASE. ........................lm

Frank wrote:The bearings on each end of output shaft. I can hardly feel the spun marks. I havn't tried to tighten the case back up. Thanks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home