Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Compression question

jkjoller
honda305.com Member

Compression question

Post by jkjoller » Sun May 19, 2019 1:27 pm

This question may be too much for a forum. I bought my first Dream: a 1962, 305 CA77. I'm not a true mechanic so my knowledge is limited.
The compression (the carb off and the plugs removed) reads around 85 on both sides (also added a little Marvels Mystery Oil to both plug holes). Does this mean I will need to break the engine apart and replace the rings (among other things)? To provide an analogy (And I'm not putting any profession down), my skill level is a podiatrist and I think this might need a heart surgeon.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? Can someone like myself with limited knowledge, rebuild the engine using guides like Bill Silvers (which I have).

FYI, I've rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines, new battery, new plugs so far.

Thanks, Jeff

Frank
honda305.com Member

Post by Frank » Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 pm

I myself would ride it for a while. If it uses excessive oil, then I would rebuild. My 67 Dream has 90 psi on both sides and it runs sweet. It has 3900 original miles on it and starts with a half kick. Good luck, Tootie

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Mon May 20, 2019 6:49 am

I'd agree with Frank, if it's low mileage I doubt it would need new rings or even the valves lapped in. I'd run it for a few hundred miles, see if it smokes a lot and unless there is something wrong with the running then I'd just enjoy the bike. They are pretty gutless by modern standards but if driven age appropriate they are a pleasure to ride, just bumble along the back roads and give the fast roads a miss. If you really do want to pull the engine apart they are pretty basic and so you won't need a vast array of tools and really only one puller, and that's just a big bolt. You won't even need that if you are just taking the head and barrels off.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home