Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Date of bike

barn305
honda305.com Member

Date of bike

Post by barn305 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi there I am new to the forum so please be gentle!! I have just picked up a CL77 in the UK it was a total barn find and wondered if anyone could date it? the engine number are different to the frame number, not sure if this is right? Engine number CL77E 1034551 and Frame number
CL77-1034548. The engine turns but it is extremely stiff otherwise its a complete bike. Started stripping it today and so far its looking good, any info would be good thanks in advance

DJM
honda305.com Member

Dating a CL77

Post by DJM » Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Honda engine and frame numbers are (almost) never identical, yours are only three digits apart which is VERY close by Honda standards so certainly the original engine and frame pairing.

If you look at the wiring harness, under the fuel tank and close to the ignition coils you may be lucky enough to locate a white tag giving the month and year that the WIRING HARNESS was manufactured. Not necessarily the same as the production date for the machine but usually close enough to give a good indication.

From your numbers I think yours is a 1967 model, possibly manufactured around April or May of that year but others may be able to date it more precisely

barn305
honda305.com Member

Dating CL77

Post by barn305 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:40 am

Thanks for the reply I will check the loom later on, with regards to the exhaust mine came with 2 pipes but NO spark arrestor / silencer on the end but also does NOT have the turn baffle washers.

It DOES have what looks like a removable baffle inside the pipe with a small nut??

Where is the best place to source parts for this bikes?

Cheers Simon

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

parts suppliers

Post by jleewebb » Thu May 30, 2019 2:18 pm

This is a very old thread but may help; some of these suppliers have gone out of business. Most CB77 suppliers also have parts for CLs.

http://www.honda305.com/forums/superhaw ... t6470.html
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

BoTyGuy
honda305.com Member

Post by BoTyGuy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:08 am

My '67 CL77 has a readable loom tag, (near the battery area), of 1966. VIN # CL77-1036884. engine #CL77E-1036887. 3 digits apart also. Much closer than my '63 CA77. With regard to the exhaust, the last thing I read stated that the early production bikes all had exactly what you have, factory baffles. The bikes were essentially built to be a competition scrambler to compete against the British offerings. They were, however noisy. That brought about the "Snuff-R-Not" adjustable kits that you see on so many CL72 & 77 bikes. They were loved because you could quiet the bike in an instant by simply turning the knob, or open them and let it sing. Many ran straight no baffle systems this way. Starting sometime in '66, the bikes came with a true muffler / spark arrestor and it was welded onto one of the pipes, and slipped onto the other. By late '67, it was changed to a slip over unit for both pipes, which stayed that way until the end of production. One of the reasons it's so hard to find an original muffler today is because people took them off and trashed them in favor of the "Snuff-R-Nots". I was fortunate enough to still have the true dual slip over muffler left intact on mine. It sounds as though someone may have changed yours for either competition or sound purposes. In my youth I owned both a CL 72 and a 77, and they both had been changed to the tune-able style. Good fortune on the barn find.

barn305
honda305.com Member

Thanks

Post by barn305 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 am

Hey guys thanks for the reply's all the info is great so thought I would give you a quick update,
Stripped some stuff of it, tank, seat, rear hoop, mud guards etc etc and took out plugs to pour a little oil down the barrels, it is turning over by hand but stiff and the kick starter won't shift so its coming out tonight and getting stripped down, to be honest that was the plan anyway. then once the engine is out and on the bench I can start on the frame and parts for the powder coater.
Then when the frame is away give the wheels a polish!! Think they might need a strip down but will see nearer the time will try the old Coke and silver foil trick. Its going to be a long slog but looking forward to getting stuck in.

G3
honda305.com Member

Post by G3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:19 pm

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/m ... 70565.html

As far as parts go...eBay and Craigslist can be resourceful. The link above (at least I hope it came through as a link) for Los Angeles has this fellow who seems to have a bone yard of CL stuff. Right on top of the trailer in the yard is a set of CL pipes with the guppy muffler still intact. However, it is unknown condition.
If you’re looking for something, hit this guy with an email. He says his stuff will soon hit eBay.

Good luck and welcome to the infected forum.

I see you’re in the UK, so the Craigslist thing above may not suit you, but you local guys might be interested too.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home