Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Swapping crankshaft parts

colingrant
honda305.com Member

Swapping crankshaft parts

Post by colingrant » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:27 pm

I have a 1962 c77 with a bad big end. I have a parts bin crank with apparently good big ends and centre mains but both outer main bearings have been removed by a previous owner. I could use the main bearings out of my existing crank but for the fact that the parts crank appears to be the earlier version that used the 19002 259 020 ball race on the right alternator side. ( half shaft not hardened on the bearing mount, tested with file). What I want to do is press off the weight and shaft from the parts crank and replace it with the weight and shaft (roller bearing) from my existing crank. With the left drive side bearing from my existing crank this would give me a good crank. (Same part no for left drive side bearing)
Can anyone see any snags with this cunning plan. If not can anyone tell me a method of identically marking the cranks so one part can be transferred to the other reasonably accurately so half shaft runout can be adjusted as normal with a minimum of trouble. I will have to have to have the pressing done by a machine shop so I will have to know exactly what is required and how to do it.
Thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home