Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

How to replace cam chain roller?

GG
honda305.com Member

How to replace cam chain roller?

Post by GG » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:23 pm

Hello - I've searched the forum but can't find the info I need. I have a 1966 Superhawk and would like to change the cam chain roller (mine is very hard, brittle and notched). It has a little oil scoop on one side, and two tabs on the other. Is there an obvious what to get it apart that I'm missing? Thanks!

GG

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: How to replace cam chain roller?

Post by Tim Allman » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:20 am

Unfortunately the roller alone is not available as a part. I also have a 1966 (CB77E-1042738) whose engine I recently rebuilt and its roller was in very bad shape. There is a Kawasaki part what others have described so you may find it on this site. I bought a Cappellini racing part which was pricy but whoever inherits my machine will be happy. Note that there were undocumented changes to the tensioner rollers and bearing hardware so be sure that you are getting what you need. Also, later CB77s have an incompatible tensioner so, again, be sure you get what you need if you buy a new tensioner assembly.

http://www.cappellinimoto.it/catalog/mo ... 77/product

GG
honda305.com Member

Post by GG » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:29 pm

Hello,

I see some rollers listed on ebay and other sites for the cam chain tensioner. Just the roller. But looking at mine, I don't see how it comes apart in order to just change the roller.

Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks!

GG

GG
honda305.com Member

Post by GG » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:29 pm

Hello,

I see some rollers listed on ebay and other sites for the cam chain tensioner. Just the roller. But looking at mine, I don't see how it comes apart in order to just change the roller.

Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks!

GG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home