Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Tach Drive Cover Problem

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Tach Drive Cover Problem

Post by ZillahBill » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:53 pm

Went to put the tach driver cover on the left side of the head and something doesn't seem right. I have attached two pictures. Some thoughts from me. The rocker arm pins are not flush with the head and I don't see how the tach drive cover will seal, even with a gasket. There are two identical shaped gaskets to fit the tach drive cover in my gasket kit. I think the problem is the machinist did not seat the rocker arm pins flush with the head. All four rocker pins are protruding from the head about 1/16th inch. I have read Bill Silver and researched the forum but I can't find an answer. Do you think it would be possible (or prudent) to try and drive the rocker pins flush with the head installed on the engine? Maybe with a wooden dowel? I don't want to go torquing on things until I know everything is right. Does anyone have any insight to my dilemma? Thanks, Bill
Attachments
Tach drive 2.jpg
Tach drive 1.jpg

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Tach Drive Cover Problem

Post by deuce_7 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:21 am

The rocker arm pins should be flush. Use a brass drift and tap-tap until the pins are seated.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:16 pm

Thank you. Tap, tap with a drift worked and the tach cover is successfully installed. On to the next thing.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:17 pm

It probably doesn't need to be said but I'll say it anyway. Use only one gasket. This cover and its mate on the right side hold the camshaft in place. (Note the ridge that lines up with the outer race on the bearing.) Two gaskets would leave a lot of end play in the camshaft.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home