Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Locating pins

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Locating pins

Post by ZillahBill » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:32 pm

I finally got hold of my machinist and although he said he can't recall the specific work on my engine he was sure that the items in the attached picture were locating pins and that I should open the engine up and put them in. He said they are usually under the top cover. I need some help from someone who has put a 305 together. Are there locating pins on the corner studs between the top cover and the block? It looks like those stud holes are larger in diameter than the others. I have used the Keep on Wrenching videos to guide a lot of my work and Brian did not have guide pins in place before he placed the top cylinder cover on top of the jugs. I also can't find them on the parts manual. Since I had these parts left over I am questioning whether or not I should drop the engine (hope I don't have to completely remove it), take the top off. and replace the parts. I need some advice from forum members.
Attachments
Unknown Parts 1.jpg
Last edited by ZillahBill on Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldbikedude
honda305.com Member

Re: Locating pins under top cylinder cover

Post by oldbikedude » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:46 pm

you can see them in this picture.
Attachments
dsc01351.jpg
'67 Ca77 Dream

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:55 pm

Here's the best pic I can find showing what might be this part and it's location. This is a picture I found on the internet. This does not appear to be the same location as the knock pin and the bolt looks like the one that comes up by the spark plug hole. Does this look familiar?
Attachments
Cylinder with pin.jpg

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:23 am

ZillahBill wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:55 pm
Here's the best pic I can find showing what might be this part and it's location. This is a picture I found on the internet. This does not appear to be the same location as the knock pin and the bolt looks like the one that comes up by the spark plug hole. Does this look familiar?
download/file.php?id=12116&t=1

That's the one. Your pic shows the top mating surface of the Cylinder block. The Cylinder Head and head gasket is installed on to this mating surface. This pair of knock pins measure 11x16mm and are installed with a 11x2mm O-ring. 8mm cylinder studs (with thinner shank to allow oil passage) pass through these knock pins.

Parts diagram of CB77 cylinder and cylinder head; see items 30 and 34:
https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists ... 1_9564.gif
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Re: Locating pins

Post by ZillahBill » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:59 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this, I finally decided I had to find out and I pulled the engine and opened it up. Sure enough, I didn't put the knock pins in between the jugs and the cylinder head. Front middle section of the head gasket was oil soaked. Why do you think? I know I put the head bolts on too tight due to my not understanding how my new torque wrench worked. I got one of the digital torque wrenches with a built in beep so I hope I am a better torquer in the future. So maybe all this is fortunate because I don't think it would have ever run the way it was. The only real casualty was the head gasket so until I get another one I will work on something else. Determined to move ahead even though I've taken a few step backwards.
Attachments
Knock Pins installed.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home