Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

clutch plate specifications

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
GregMcN
honda305.com Member

clutch plate specifications

Post by GregMcN » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:36 am

I guess my question is similar to the one raised by Frank.

Can anyone tell me the specs and service limits for CB77 clutch plates and friction discs .. I appreciate there were quite a few changes.

I have a 1966 CB77 with 5 friction plates, no cush drive.

Thanks Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Also interested to know whether the spec for clutch spring length is the same for all different versions. My particular interest is the late model spring part number 22401-275-810.

Greg

DJM
honda305.com Member

Clutch plate specs.

Post by DJM » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:53 pm

I'm watching this one with baited breath!

I have a whole pile of (mostly) used plates as follows

Plates A varying between 1.55mm and 2.1mm

Plates B varying between 1.20mm and 2.1mm

Friction plates varying between 3.0mm and 5.0 mm

I think the only specs Honda ever quoted were for the very early bikes, unless someone knows different, if so please share the info.

Don't even get me started on clutch springs, I have literally dozens and haven't even measured them all. I've been told that clutch (and also valve) springs were marked with a spot of different coloured paints to ID them but I've never managed to find paint on any of my springs. Of course, with springs it isn't just the free length that matters but the number of coils and gauge of the wire. The CYB race kit clutch springs for example are much shorter than the 'standard' springs but also much stiffer and in my experience make for a very heavy clutch action on a road bike.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

Clutch plates etc.

Post by GORDON BROWN » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Hello Greg

I am with DJM on the plates and springs, not sure why your 66 bike would not have a cushdrive clutch though. Could be there are dimension differences on the early clutches giving you clearance issues ?

Perhaps someone on the site will know.

Gordon

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi Dennis/ Gordon

I did not realise this was such a complex topic, just wanted to check the clutch as part of the build. Actually not sure about the cush drive I need to have another look now I know a bit more.
I found this which was helpful:

http://www.honda305.com/forums/305-clut ... everything

As it appears nobody has specs I guess I will just put back as is after cleaning and see how I get on.

Out of interest if it does need work are there any aftermarket options on friction plates or springs that people use?

Greg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:13 pm

First!
From start to ending HONDA had 8 different designs to make the thing not wear to soon.
The CUSH DRIVE was the answer to their problem.
Every part was redesigned except the "Lifter Joint".
The "outer" was made with a neoprene sort of gasket between the aluminum and steel sprocket and the "outer" has a sort of round end near the sprocket.
The "center has a raised circle "5/16" deep and so does the "pressure plate" which has 4 holes drilled from that area out so collected oil would expel thru those holes.
The "Springs" have a "White end which by now is "BROWN" from the oil.
The first "STEEL" is as all thick ones after apx. 1963.
All others (4) have 7 cut outs in the center hole.
The friction disc's have Aluminum Core with "Black Neoprene and cork" contact area.
1967 CB77 1052547 the "Center Hub" has "Shallow Splines" compared to the 1966 issue as the Shaft was changed when the 350 bikes were designed.
The eBay market offers the early type "Sort Of Plastic" Friction disc but these should not be used as they are not NEAR as good as the Aluminum Core type.
22201-268-020. ................lm

GregMcN wrote:Hi Dennis/ Gordon

I did not realise this was such a complex topic, just wanted to check the clutch as part of the build. Actually not sure about the cush drive I need to have another look now I know a bit more.
I found this which was helpful:

http://www.honda305.com/forums/305-clut ... everything

As it appears nobody has specs I guess I will just put back as is after cleaning and see how I get on.

Out of interest if it does need work are there any aftermarket options on friction plates or springs that people use?

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks for the overview LM

Here is a picture of my clutch, can anyone confirm whether this is the cush drive type?

Greg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home