Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL-77 "VIN" vs Engine numbers

oldveeracer
honda305.com Member

CL-77 "VIN" vs Engine numbers

Post by oldveeracer » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:31 pm

I have read the previous posts re this subject, but am looking at a 1966 CL-77 that has a CL77-1011--- chassis no and a CL77E- 1003--- engine no. Is this not a mixed bike with an older engine? What is the max number spread to be considered matching number? Also, how is the value affected with a "non matching numbers" bike? Sorry for repeat of subject, but could not find exact answer. Thanks, Bill

stratone
honda305.com Member

Re: CL-77 "VIN" vs Engine numbers

Post by stratone » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:33 pm

Bill, they're generally considered matching if they are within a couple hundred in the last digits. However, in todays market I would just buy it if everything else is right. The last parts bike I sold went back to Japan!................................D

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:10 pm

I agree with D. Likely as not yours has had an engine replaced along the way. It really depends on what your intentions are with the bike. A show bike, then try to find a case with closer numbers then proceed from there. Just a nice rider then don't sweat the small stuff. My 2 cents FWIW, Rusty

ahenthus
honda305.com Member

Post by ahenthus » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:30 pm

I'm seeing a contradiction here. Either that or I'm missing something. Stratone rightly says that the numbers can have quite a stretch, even a couple of hundred. In the next sentence he says "if every thing else is right just buy it, implying that the numbers were not right. Then Rusty says the engine was probably replaced at some time. I'll go out on limb and say with assurance that it has its original engine. What are the chances that somewhere down the road somebody replaced the original engine with one that was 8 digits off? I don't think so. The serial numbers on my 66 CL77 are only one digit off. Probably closer than 99% of all built, your's is probably closer than 98%.

Does anyone know where Loud Mouse is? In another recent serial number thread a guy asked where Ed is. Ed has not posted since early August. I gave Ed's phone number to the guy but have heard nothing back. Ed has been the most prolific and knowledgable poster since I joined the forum.
66 CL77

mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Post by mcconnellfrance » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:04 am

Bill,

I agree with D and Rusty. If the numbers match of frame and engine match within 8 on the last digits, it is almost 100% certain that these are original from the bike being delivered new. My 1964 CB 77 numbers are 4 apart.
Bill Silver's invaluable restoration guide says that the original numbers can be up to 200 apart.

G

ahenthus
honda305.com Member

Post by ahenthus » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 pm

rustywrench wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:10 pm
I agree with D. Likely as not yours has had an engine replaced along the way.
Seriously McConnell, You, yourself agreed that eight digits off probably meant it was the original engine. That's exactly what I said. Look at Rusty's quote again. It appears Rusty is saying the engine has likely been changed at some time.
66 CL77

stratone
honda305.com Member

Post by stratone » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:32 pm

You are missing something! He is showing the first four digits, not the last. My 66 motor and frame are one digit off, very rare ( and circumspect to Ed) I know the history of my bike back to 1973 when I acquired it. It presented as a well kept bike. All I'm saying is if you want the bike, can afford it, BUY IT! What are the last 3 digits ?If it is being presented as a matching numbers bike, it isn't.................................................D

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home