Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1958 Yamaha Catalina Racer

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
rbaselt
honda305.com Member

1958 Yamaha Catalina Racer

Post by rbaselt » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:28 am

Anyone know the whereabouts of this bike?
http://www.classicyams.com/race-bikes/e ... tored.html

Paul Strassmaier
honda305.com Member

Post by Paul Strassmaier » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Funny to see that bike again. I knew Jim Merz when he bought that bike in it's very rough condition. I recall mentioning to him that I thought the tank was the straightest part of it and he replied..."that's the wrong tank.... I hadn't seen it restored, and I don't know if he restored it, or sold it to someone who did. It's beautifull!

chip
honda305.com Member

Re: 1958 Yamaha Catalina Racer

Post by chip » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:57 pm

rbaselt wrote:Anyone know the whereabouts of this bike?
http://www.classicyams.com/race-bikes/e ... tored.html
Hi, I currently own the Yamaha #33 YD Catalina Works racer. It was the first Japanese bike to ever race in America. Set the lap record at Catalina in 1958 which still stands! At least until they re-open the race this December. I think after 52 years, bikes have improved enough that the record will be broken. It was also the loudest bike at the event we are told. There are some great movies showing the bike currently on internet sites and on youtube. This was Yamaha's first Genuine racer and their first Works bike. The President of Yamaha attended the race in '58 and the bike was used to introduce the American public to Yamaha. I don't like to say it on a Honda site, but it was a Tad bit faster than the Honda's back then. Let me know if you want more info.
Best Regards, Chip

rbaselt
honda305.com Member

Post by rbaselt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks for writing. I'd love to get some more info. My email is rbaselt(at)yahoo.com, I'm in Long Beach, CA, where Catalina Island is the largest object on the horizon when looking out at the ocean. Unless you're standing in front of the Queen Mary. --Randall

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:04 am

That is one cool bike alright! I had not heard of THAT one, but did know that Yamaha built one called the Ascot Scrambler (which IS a pretty decent bike itself).

http://www.earlyyearsofmx.com/Yamascot.html

Thanks for posting about the Racer, Bill

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi Bill,

That was a while ago I saw you here around, what's up ?

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 am

jensen wrote:Hi Bill,

That was a while ago I saw you here around, what's up ?

Jensen
Hey Jensen, Sorry to take so long to see this. I've just been kinda here and there. I THINK I am FINALLY getting to where I can get on with something concerning a bike. SO, that being said, I hope to be around here more AND with a build to report on. You have no idea how I've really wanted to get back in here before now.

I'll be back, Bill

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home