Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Red Paint Question

superhawk305
honda305.com Member

CB77 Red Paint Question

Post by superhawk305 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 pm

I have a 66 Superhawk that I am starting to paint....I had Dupont Imron 6543UM matched to Dupont Centari and I just got done painting my frame. It seriously looks orange to me. How would others using this code describe it's color? Sometimes it looks orange and sometimes it looks red to me. Could it just be my eyes playing tricks because I am looking at a frame without the rest of the bike on it to balance it out? I've looked at as about as many red Superhawk and Scramblers as one could find online and it's so hard to tell what the correct red should look like. Some are similar to the color I have and others have a deeper, richer red that seems like it would fit the name Scarlet a lot better. Any help would be great...thanks

Tango911
honda305.com Member

Post by Tango911 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:00 pm

how bout a picture

Dana01
honda305.com Member

Post by Dana01 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Hiya,

My understanding is that there were several "correct" variations and shades of that red over the course of the production runs.
Dana

1966/7 CB-77 Red of course
1976 CB-550F (project over-budget and under-funded)
1985 GS-450S (Land Speed Racer)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CB77 Red Paint Question

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 pm

SCARLET RED was the HONDA name for the color.
It does look orange/tomato not Just RED.
If ya ever see a Cherry Red CB ya may know why HONDA used the color they did with the CA/CB/CL72/77 bikes. ................lm

superhawk305 wrote:I have a 66 Superhawk that I am starting to paint....I had Dupont Imron 6543UM matched to Dupont Centari and I just got done painting my frame. It seriously looks orange to me. How would others using this code describe it's color? Sometimes it looks orange and sometimes it looks red to me. Could it just be my eyes playing tricks because I am looking at a frame without the rest of the bike on it to balance it out? I've looked at as about as many red Superhawk and Scramblers as one could find online and it's so hard to tell what the correct red should look like. Some are similar to the color I have and others have a deeper, richer red that seems like it would fit the name Scarlet a lot better. Any help would be great...thanks

pknopp
honda305.com Member

Post by pknopp » Thu May 19, 2011 6:28 am

I showed an older friend of mine, my bike the other day (mine is black). He said that he had one of the orange/red ones back in the day so the debate on the color has been going on a long time.

superhawk305
honda305.com Member

Post by superhawk305 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 am

Thanks for the replys....basically I've come to the conclusion that it is def. the wrong color...I have a CA160 from the same year and it's not even close to the same color. There is so much orange in the 6543 code it might as well be classified as an "orange". So now I am just going to take in a part off the CA160 and get it matched...which is what I should have done in the first place....seeing as how I already painted every part of the frame the wrong color....haha....unbelievable. Oh well live and learn. This reply is in no way trying to insult any one using or recommending 6543...I just can't see how any company would label the color Scarlet Red when it's basically an orange....Scarlet Red is a deep, rich and sometimes bright red not orange.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri May 20, 2011 4:51 pm

I'll keep it short.
The color is correct. .............lm

superhawk305 wrote:Thanks for the replys....basically I've come to the conclusion that it is def. the wrong color...I have a CA160 from the same year and it's not even close to the same color. There is so much orange in the 6543 code it might as well be classified as an "orange". So now I am just going to take in a part off the CA160 and get it matched...which is what I should have done in the first place....seeing as how I already painted every part of the frame the wrong color....haha....unbelievable. Oh well live and learn. This reply is in no way trying to insult any one using or recommending 6543...I just can't see how any company would label the color Scarlet Red when it's basically an orange....Scarlet Red is a deep, rich and sometimes bright red not orange.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home