Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Fouls plugs ??

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Jawja
honda305.com Member

Fouls plugs ??

Post by Jawja » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:44 am

I have bought two dreams, a `68 and a `67. I have crossed the plugs over to autolite. I put in new plugs, they run perfect (like a dream ) for about 20 mins. then foul plugs. The breather was in bad shape so I pulled it out, same results. Is some thing heating up and breaking down ? Can you go to a Honda dealership and get parts, points, condensors, etc., if not where is the best source for parts ? Thanks for any ideas.........

georGe
honda305.com Member

Re: Fouls plugs ??

Post by georGe » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:27 pm

A good place for parts is www.ohiocycle.com Nick has alot of NOS and quality aftermarket.<br />Before you go replacing parts ya need to post some info like how the bike runs in that 20 minute period before it fouls the plugs so I/we can give some input.<br /><br />georGe

Lee
honda305.com Member

Re: Fouls plugs ??

Post by Lee » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:39 pm

Jawja wrote:<br />I have bought two dreams, a `68 and a `67. I have crossed the plugs over to autolite. I put in new plugs, they run perfect (like a dream ) for about 20 mins. then foul plugs. The breather was in bad shape so I pulled it out, same results. Is some thing heating up and breaking down ? Can you go to a Honda dealership and get parts, points, condensors, etc., if not where is the best source for parts ? Thanks for any ideas.........<br />
<br /><br />A friend of mine put in Autolite plugs &quot;properly cross-referenced&quot; in his CL-77. After about 20 miles of riding at around 60 MPH one of the plugs blew a hole in one of his pistons. He replace the pistion and put the NGK D8HS plugs back in and had no more problem. I recomend that you replace the plugs with NGK D8HS and gap them at 0.018&quot;. If this doesn't fix it, I would guess that your battery is bad and can't hold the voltage high enough to give a good spark.

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:32 am

Looks like a year and a half ago someone wrote in with the same problem I had, and JoeWeir1 didn't notice it.

http://honda305.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=857

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:26 pm

Mustanger-Hope your bikes are running well.I made about every mistake a rookie can make on working on these things.The reason I may not have noticed the other post is that I only got into these bikes(any bike) about 2 years ago.And I never worked on a bike before other than I replaced a throttle cable once about 23 years ago on an old Yamaha.I really had no clue how the bike engine really functioned!Also, my bike was torn down and in the rebuild process until spring of 05'.I have purchased 4 other Dreams in the process of putting mine together and have torn down three engines just to learn the inner workings and to obtain spare parts.I have yet to actually rebuild an engine.I currently am running a engine from what I thought would be a parts engine.Thes engines are almost bullet proof even after sitting out in the rain and snow for years.If it wasn't for sites like this I would have been lost.Happy riding

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home