Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Japan Meets Britain

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:55 am

This is the 2007 version of my 1966 SuperHawk. It's about 99.9% complete -- I think the only cosmetic thing I'm going to change is to replace the present black front fork seal housings with chrome ones, but for the time being I might just add some checkered tape to their top edge. The engine and transmission are both fresh -- the pistons are one over stock, the head has been ported and polished, and the carbs are now running 155's instead of the previous 135's. My first test ride showed noticeable improvement in bottom end pull, and it reaches 80mph in a hurry (don't want to push it too much as the engine/trans are still fresh).
Attachments
SuperHawk2007.jpg
Last edited by Vince Lupo on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

SuperHawk Meets Triton

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:34 am

Here's another view of the creation (or abomination depending upon your perspective!). The checkered stripes on the tank and fenders are hand painted, and all the decals are custom made. I think the idea was to take cues from some vintage British bikes and incorporate them into my bike. The exposed springs on the forks didn't quite turn out as I had envisioned, but it's the best that could be worked out considering the design and layout of the SuperHawk's forks. Frank's Engineering could have made some for me, but they are hand made, take a minimum of two months to make, and would've added about $ 1000.00 to the cost of the front end. Plus, in the final analysis, might not have looked much different than they are now. Ah well, if I get tired of them I can always put the gaiters back on that I had before (but the look is growing on me).
Attachments
SuperHawk2007a.jpg

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

SuperHawk Meets Triton

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:41 pm

One more view of the front end with the checkered banding just added....I think I'll stick with it as is and not bother with the chrome fork seal holders. The front end is certainly stiffer with this arrangement! The wheel trims ('bacon cutters' in the UK) are 1960's items specifically designed for the SuperHawk, from Bill Selby Products.
Attachments
SuperHawkCafe3.jpg

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi Vince,

Very nice to see your bike again! You have accumulated a ton of tuning and customizing experience which I hope many others will quizz you on.

The best part is that you ride your bike all over!!

So, ... which was the single best update (aside from the electronic ignition) to your machine ??

Michael

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

SuperHawk Meets Triton

Post by Vince Lupo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:53 am

Hi Michael -- Thanks for your reply. I think two things (besides getting the engine and transmission rebuilt) were key for me: The EMGO Dunstall mufflers and the Dunlop K82 TT100 Lightweight tires. The mufflers are relatively inexpensive, are really well finished, and I consider them to be 'period' because of the fact that their design goes back to the SuperHawk era. I think the only difference between them and real Dunstalls is the welding seam near the outlet of the muffler (if I can find real Dunstalls then I might consider replacing them). They give the SuperHawk a much needed 'bark' as well as a performance tweak. The wheels are made up of Akront rims and stainless spokes, with original hubs cleaned up and their centers painted black. The tires, while perhaps more of an early 1970's design, still look the part and inspire much more confidence on the road than Cheng Shin's. I had to get them from England through Wheelhouse Tires -- they aren't cheap but they are fantastic tires and well worth the piece of mind.
I know that some 'purists' don't like my bike -- I actually had a fellow at a show say that the wheels and tires were 'too nice for the bike' -- and I'm sure some will gasp at what I've done to the front end, the checkers, decals, white pinstriping on the seat, etc etc etc. All I can say is that I'm sorry -- this is what I had in my head and I had to get it out of there!
Here is the final shot of it with the last of the checkered banding...I swear this is the last of it!
Attachments
SuperHawkCafe.jpg

scum
honda305.com Member

Post by scum » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:24 am

Looks great. I'm building mine in the cafe racer style too. I like the white piping you've got on the seat and the Brit style number plate on the front fender, don't care for the "bacon cutters" though. The mufflers are cool and the graphics give the bike a lot of character. Two thumbs up.
I know what you mean by "creation / abomination" Some folks want to see nothing but factory stock, some like custom.
Looking good.
Happy motoring...brother scum
My Vintage Japanese Bike Meet-- www.rice-o-rama.com

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

SuperHawk Meets Triton

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:17 pm

Well thanks, um, Mister Scum(?). It's still a work in progress -- I have a couple of things that need to be powder coated, and I'm still trying to get the routing of my clutch cable sorted out so that I don't need gorilla arms to work the lever! As well, the right cylinder is now popping and the exhaust is cooler on that side than on the left side, so we'll have to figure that out. But all in all, it's close to what I envisioned. As far as the bacon cutters go, well that's something that was pretty popular with the cafe/Triton set back in the day. The 250 Royal Enfield Continental GT came with them, and they're supposed to direct air to the front brake hub for 'cooling' (they're also known as cooling rings). So, I guess it's all personal taste. Thanks for the words of encouragement....
One more view from the top with the painted checkered stripe on the tank, plus the pocket watch holder from PJ Speedos on the Isle of Man, and a 1943 Elgin GCT US Navy Comparing Watch affixed.
Attachments
Super2a.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home