Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Brighter headlight bulb?

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
carlluvscorinne
honda305.com Member

Brighter headlight bulb?

Post by carlluvscorinne » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi All: Does anyone know of a brighter headlight bulb that can be used in my 1964 CB77? I like to ride my bike home from work at night (I work 2nd shift) and its hard to see very far ahead even with the highbeam on. I have tried adjusting the headlight bucket, but the bulb just does not produce very much light. (I belive its 25w low / 35w high). I have tried a couple different stock bulbs, but they are all about the same. Thanx in advance, Carl

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:37 am

Hey Carl, check out Paul Goff's site http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm . I'm assuming, from your description, that you have a replaceable lamp and not a sealed beam. Your lamp's cap should have 3 'keyhole' slots around the flange; this denotes an American Pre-Focus cap (type APF). Goffy seems to have only 50/50W in 12V, which you'll probably get away with if you also change your stop/tail for an LED-type and swap out your rectifier for a modern silicon- or Schottky-diode type from Radio Shack.

In Europe we have (had, prior to P43- & then H4-flanged twin-filament headlamps) Bosch BA20d which differs from APF in fitting to the beam unit.

Further -

Rectifier info: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
Taillight bulb info: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

Incidentally, Goffy sends worldwide and accepts PayPal.
Last edited by e3steve on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:48 am

Hi,

First make sure that your reflector is in perfect shape, if not replace it.
The CB72 has the same headllight as a CB400F. There are a lot of aftermarket replacement reflectors with different types of bulbsmade for the CB400F, like halogene H4.

I have a Xenon bulb fitted in a CB400F H4 reflector for my 67 CB72.
A Xenon blub is 35 Watts, H4 consumes more.

A reflector with H4 bulb is fitted in my 62 CB72, it's working fine with another rectifier like steve mentioned,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

carlluvscorinne
honda305.com Member

Post by carlluvscorinne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks for the tips...this is exactlly what I was hoping for. I like the cb400F headlight lens idea if I don't have to change the taillight bulb over. Is the new rectifier needed if I just use the 35w xeon bulb with the cb400 reflector?
Thanx, Carl

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:51 am

Hi,

Go for the H4 / CB400F aftermarket reflector,
Forget the Xenon, the xenon option is much more complicated, it needs a stabiliezed power supply at all times, a ballast, and lot of re-wiring too.

I forgot that I made all the changes to have such a stabilized power suply.

A new modern rectifier is ALWAYS better, because of its efficiency, keep the old one for shows only.

So aftermarket reflector from a CB400f, H4, and a new rectifier will work for you.

In what shape is your reflector ?

Jensen

carlluvscorinne
honda305.com Member

Post by carlluvscorinne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi Jensen:

Thanks for the info, my reflector appears to be in great shape, crystal clear with no hazing or scratches. So just a new rectifer, CB400F reflector with an H4 bulb. I can use my original trim ring, headlight bucket and tail light bulb?
Thanks in advance, Carl

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:09 am

Hi,

Yes, I did this before I converted to even more light with the xenon, it worked.
I switched to Xenon because I wanted more power reserves for the Garmin GPS and a few other things.

If the H4 doesn't burn or is weak, check strength on your magnet of the dynamo,

Before you switch to H4, you can check this with a H4 bulb connected directly to the wires of the headlight (would take half on hour to find out).

Jensen

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home