Admirers

3 phase Alt Conversion

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
stewb
honda305.com Member

3 phase Alt Conversion

Post by stewb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi All,

new to the forum. Am putting together a '63 CB72 in a CYB/CR/Cafe racer style. I'm looking to simplify as much as possible & part of this is going for a self contained 3 phase reg/rec & binning the extra wiring for the switched in lighting arrangement used as standard.

I've read a bit on here & Honda Twins about the stock staor setup etc. I wondered if anyone actually had practical knowledge of converting the stator to 3 phase operation? From what I have read it seems that it is possible to do this by rewinding 2 of the 6 coils & then rewiring to put three sets of the coils into series pairs & terminating all 3 pairs to a common point ( the centre of the Y). The three "open ends" are the 3 phases which go to the reg rec.

It would seem to be more sensible to rewind all coils as the stator I have must be a minimum of 50 years old.....

Does anybody have any thoughts or advice on this approach? I didn't want to start butchering what I have without the confidence I can end up with something that will work.

If anybody has a clue of wire size & number of turns taht would be most useful.

Thanks in advance,

Stew.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home