Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil?

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Oil?

Post by MBellRacing » Sat May 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Okay guys, need some very simple, embarassing help......

I just bought my first bike at the recommendation of a very nice classic Honda expert: a '63 Superhawk. It hasn't run in about a year and has had all the fluids drained. I am trying to put the oil back in but am having a very hard time finding the oil everyone on has mentioned in passing. The search function on this forum and the phone calls I've had with some people have all said I need a non-detergent SAE 30W oil. My mechanic friend and the guys at 2 stores were explaining that straight-30 is for compressors and farm equipment. Is this right?!

I'm sorry this is such a ridiculous question but I want to make sure I do the right thing. Honda told me to just use 20W-40 or whatever they use in their modern bikes. Can I do that? It is much, much easier to find around here!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat May 15, 2010 4:30 pm

I think you should do a search on the Forum regarding this subject. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective!) this subject has been covered extensively (and exhaustively), and you should be able to find you answer within the many-paged discussion already on this Forum.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

oil

Post by rustywrench » Sat May 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Mbell,
I knew that sooner or later someone would ask this question again and the last time it became a 30 page train wreck. So I will give you a very quick scenario from both sides.
Back when Honda made these bikes they recommended 30w oil cuz I suppose it was the oil of the day. Our resident expert says it suspends the particles to allow the spin filter to do its job. Spin the crud out of the oil. You can get it at most NAPA stores for a fraction of the cost of the designer oils.
Some here will argue that modern blends will offer more cushion to our aging parts and protect better. That said, I would say there is credibility to both sides of this debate.
I personally use the 30W non and have in the past used the blends and can say for me it doesn't matter. You can use either safely and if there is a question of the oil spinner not cleaning your blend well enough, then go ahead and change it more often. It's not a dodge diesel with an ocean of oil in there and not that expensive.
All that behind us, it's your choice from here and welcome to the madness. Any time you need help, just ask................................RW

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Sat May 15, 2010 5:02 pm

I use the 30W NT oil. I found it at NAPA and also at Farm and Fleet in my area.

Gunner

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Sat May 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks! I searched "oil", "oil weight", " oil grade", etc, and always got the same vague answers back. I have looked in a Pep Boys, a Kragen, and 2 bike shops and everyone tells me that the only place I'm going to find non-synthetic straight 30W will be an industrial equipment place. These are rare where I am and a pain to deal with-- thus my question a out modern oils.

Thanks for the help! I guess I'll try Napa!!!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat May 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi Again -- Look under '30w Non-Detergent -- Or is there something better?' in this section and you will get all the varied answers you require (it's on about page 4 of this section).

You have been warned.....

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sat May 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Disclaimer: I believe that the best oil is what my bike deserves and it uses so little that the cost is almost not relevant.

30W oil was fine in 1962 when these things were around, because that was basically all that was available. Multigrades were not really available. All that has changed in the last 40 years or so. You don't need to go to the very best super grade racing oils. A good street oil would be fine. I'd suggest a Honda 20W50 or 20W40.

We have used with and without molybdenum and notice no difference in clutch slip or anything else so take your choice.

Don't get hung up on what was used so very long ago.

my $0.02

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home