Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil filter chewed up the case

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Oil filter chewed up the case

Post by rpr851r » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Hello all. I am in need of a little advice. I am very close to getting my brothers old bike road worthy again. In the process of cleaning the oil filter I discovered it was about seized on its shaft. I managed to get it apart and the picture is what I found. The engine case looks chewed up like the filter. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck fixing the case in this area. About the only thing I can come up with is to JBweld a thrust washer to the case and put my extra filter assembly in and cross my fingers. I put the proposed stack-up together (washer-filter-washer) and stuck the clutch cover on with out the gasket and there seems to be enough room for the extra washer. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Best Regards,
Rich
Attachments
CIMG1299 (3).jpg

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:56 am

Rich, I would make sure the sprocket on the primary gear is installed properly. There should only be a washer on the outside of the filter not on the inside. Post a pic of the primary mounted sprocket if you can.

davomoto

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

filter

Post by rustywrench » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:54 am

In the dis-assembly of one of my many engines, I too found one with a screwed up filter end and gouged up case. the washer was installed correctly and the filter spun freely on the shaft. So what I would ask is the most likely culprit for this condition and what would one do to make it serviceable?
Fortunately I don't need this case to get back on the road but if I did, I'd be in the same boat as Rich. I'm sure some one out there has had to deal with it. RW

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Update

Post by rpr851r » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Here are a few more shots. I spun the nut off the primary and compared how the sprockets were stacked up versus that on my spare motor and they looked the same for what it’s worth. My shot at fixing the mess is to put a washer on both ends of the filter. I will epoxy the one to the case so there is a decent surface for the filter to run on in the event it sees some thrust in that direction. I also plan on having the oil filter machined so that the sprocket alignment is maintained when using the washer on the case. I also want to make sure to provide adequate clearance between the filter and the case.

After taking a better look at the parts that came off the oil filter assembly what I believe happened is that an extra washer found its way between the filter and the clutch cover. The extra washer reduced the clearance by .030” between the case and the filter and once the filter rubbed a little it was all over. The one picture shows both washers found on the assembly but both washers were between the filter and clutch cover.
Attachments
Shows buggered up case
Shows buggered up case
Shows oil pump sprocket on primary
Shows oil pump sprocket on primary
Shows stack up I plan on using.  The washer on the right will be epoxied to the case. Both washers are the same size.
Shows stack up I plan on using. The washer on the right will be epoxied to the case. Both washers are the same size.
Showing the 2 washers found on the pump assembly when removed.  The washers were both on the clutch cover end of the pump.  Notice the small diameter of the washer to the left.  No idea where it might have originally came from.
Showing the 2 washers found on the pump assembly when removed. The washers were both on the clutch cover end of the pump. Notice the small diameter of the washer to the left. No idea where it might have originally came from.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

filter

Post by rustywrench » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Rich,
Giving this thing a bunch of thought, you are most probably right about the extra washer. I've read here abouts that when the one washer is installed next to the case it would cause this damage. In my case if a PO installed it wrong, caused damage, corrected the washer position later, it would explain why mine was correct when I found it. Hey, I just solved my own mystery. Do keep us updated on how yours works out though. RW

sotxbill
honda305.com Member

Post by sotxbill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 am

my concern is that it seal oil between the case and oil filter. so what ever you do, it must have a reasonable seal??

could you take some valve lapping compound and smooth it out on both ends a bit? do you need to?

What do you think??
two cl77, three cb77, ca77, ca72, cb160, s65 and cb750

Help Stop Global Whinning

Its considered bad luck to be superstitious.

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Post by rpr851r » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

I am still pondering what to do. I now see that there is a steel collar in the filter and presumably one in the case but it’s badly damaged. I am thinking of just touching the surface on the case with a piloted counter bore to clean up the surface and put a good oil filter assembly back in. If I can get case surface cleaned up then I would be ok without the washer epoxied to the case.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home