Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Different Kickstarts ?

Phil-UK
honda305.com Member

Different Kickstarts ?

Post by Phil-UK » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:11 am

Hi

My CB72 kickstart decided to come apart when I got the bike out of the garage and the spring,
washer and circlip that hold the pedal on went flying.
Seems the cicrlip and washer are discontinued but I think I can find replacements.

Anyway, I went to fit a spare rechromed k/start only to find that the bend is slightly "less bent out"
than the one fitted and it fouls the alternator cover: so the question is did Honda use different
forward acting kickstarts on different models ?
The spline is correct and because its forward acting I'm assuming its not from a CL.
Could it simply be that I've rechromed a bent k/start or do I need to be careful to get the
correct match if buying another ?

By the way the k/start seems to have come apart because the pedal part has a badly worn
pivot hole allowing it to slide about and - I guess - put side pressure on the circlip.

thanks in advance

Phil

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Phil, I see no-one's proffered an answer, so I'll stick my neck out:
  • No change in the kickstart arm throughout the production run (to my knowledge); same part nº -- 28301-268-000 -- start to finish but, as in all things, I'll hold my hands up and wail "I was wrong" if a more knowledgeable member can tell us otherwise!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am

I had a few of those over the years. I think that the lever just gets bent over time. If you stand beside the bike and kick forwards, there is a tendency to kick towards the bike and over time the lever takes a set.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

bent kickstarter

Post by jleewebb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:18 pm

no kidding, teazer...my old kickstarter lever had gotten so bent back in the day that it gouged grooves in the rotor cover...I managed to straighten it out enough during resurrection to clear the cover, then my battery got weak and died and I had to use the kickstarter a few times...after about 20 kicks it was bent back to where it scratched my new shiny rotor cover. drats!

So I gave up straightening it and found a different one on ebay...haven't installed it permanently yet but it looks like it'll give plenty of clearance...It's apparently from a later model, quite a bit different, beefier than the one that came on my '62. So maybe the lever changed in later years even if the part number didn't...unless I got ebay'd again and my new one is from a different bike altogether. Hope this sheds some light...Lee
Attachments
Old kickstarter, old rotor cover. Apparently I kept turning cover 1/3 turn with every tuneup.
Old kickstarter, old rotor cover. Apparently I kept turning cover 1/3 turn with every tuneup.
Old one on left, newer one on right. Chrome was not that bad but I went ahead and painted it dull aluminum to match other painted chrome on bike.
Old one on left, newer one on right. Chrome was not that bad but I went ahead and painted it dull aluminum to match other painted chrome on bike.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:50 am

Thanks Lee.

I...... was...... W-R-O-N-G!!!

Certainly looks beefed-up, judging by the pic.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 am

No you weren't Steve.
There were several parts on that bike which had been changed by someone.
I have many CB72/77 bikes from the early production and the part in the bottom pic is from another bike. ..............lm

e3steve wrote:Thanks Lee.

I...... was...... W-R-O-N-G!!!

Certainly looks beefed-up, judging by the pic.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

another mystery

Post by jleewebb » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm

I'll be darned...another mystery about my ol' bike...wonder what model bike that skinny lever was made to fit, a 160? Another "blame it on the Honda shop," I suppose, they did all the maintenance and repairs for me back then. I'd just wreck it, get them to fix it, and ride, ride, ride.

I appreciate you pointing this out LM. When I think I have the answer to a question I sometimes feel compelled to share what I (think) I know, but I really don't want to be passing on bad info here on the forum.

Thanks, Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home