Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Valve sizes in C vs CB/CL engines......

wombat200
honda305.com Member

Valve sizes in C vs CB/CL engines......

Post by wombat200 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Was going through my collection of Heads last night, to choose a Dream (single carb head) for my restoration.... I'm fitting big intake valves to it, and had selected the valves from my NOS stash.....

Anyways, I came accross a CB head (twin carb & tach drive) that has the smaller intake valves....! I had been under the impression that all the twin-carb heads had the bigger inlet valves, but maybe the 250cc version had the smaller valves too? I just thought it was interesting.....

Anyone have any better knowledge on which bikes had the bigger valve heads?

Thanks!

ColC
honda305.com Member

Valves

Post by ColC » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:03 am

Hi Wombat
Cant help with the valves mate but I have a question, do you know what C92 is worth, an original condition but need restoring one? I know that is a broad description but just after a ball park figure.
Cheers Col

wombat200
honda305.com Member

Post by wombat200 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:15 am

Bugger-all, really..... People want too much for them. I've seen a few on Ebay over the last couple of years, but the sellers usually have their sights set too high & they don't sell..... They're more common than many people realise.

Is it running? If running & genuinely complete, but needing restoration (IE, paint, seat, tyres, cables, etc), then I might pay up to $1000, but certainly no more than that - that would be top dollar, I reckon.

A non-runner with a stuck engine would struggle to get more than $500, and even that's would be a stretch......

I paid $300 for a nice Dream 12 months ago - non-runner, but a free engine, complete with restorable mufflers, but significant rear guard damage (enough to need a replacement guard), and while I think I got a good deal, I wouldn't have paid $500 for it....

C92/C95's are worth less than dreams, too.

Rob.

ColC
honda305.com Member

Post by ColC » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:53 am

Thanks Rob

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:12 am

That C92 will/should bring a better price than the C95 as I don't see a lot of them offered.
A stuck engine with them can at times be terminal as the cylinder is cast iron and no replaceable sleeve as other HONDA'S.
I found a cylinder for a friend of mine at BARBER a couple of years back and he gladly jumped for it at $100.00. ................lm

ColC wrote:Thanks Rob

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:08 am

There's no shortage of engine parts but tins are rather scarce. I sold box load of heads and gaskets and barrels to a mate in SA a few years ago who races a C92/95.

I had already swapped two CB92 race bikes to a buddy for a pair of TZ Yamahas. One was a real CB and the other was converted from a C, but both had the right tanks and race kit megaphones. Cute bikes, but I had no use for them and no time to finish them off. One was supposedly ex Tony Gill (aren't they all!).

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:44 am

Well now I've seen that one cylinder assy. and no other engine parts or bikes in plentiful supply for the C92 in a long time.
A few years ago sort of describes a time span which doesn't relate to today's supply to me teazer. .........lm
teazer wrote:There's no shortage of engine parts but tins are rather scarce. I sold box load of heads and gaskets and barrels to a mate in SA a few years ago who races a C92/95.

I had already swapped two CB92 race bikes to a buddy for a pair of TZ Yamahas. One was a real CB and the other was converted from a C, but both had the right tanks and race kit megaphones. Cute bikes, but I had no use for them and no time to finish them off. One was supposedly ex Tony Gill (aren't they all!).

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home